1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eureka! Did my first fret job today!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Santraginus, Mar 25, 2006.

1. I spent weeks contemplating about a decision: should I take my Warmoth-parts bass to a pro or should I dare to do the fret-dressing on my own... :confused:

Well, today I decided - and spend the entire afternoon and evening doing my first fret-job.

Basically, I followed the steps that Dan Erlewine describes in his book on g****r repair, i.e. I used black marker on the surfaces of the frets in order to see how much metal is taken away. I used neither a file nor sandpaper, but a big, perfectly flat water-stone that I normally use to sharpen my hocho (japanese knives).

It worked out fine - and I think that the key to success was to do very very small steps at a time. Guess I re-strung the bass about 20 times to check if everything worked.

So: I did my first fret job today - and succeeded!
    :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That's awesome. I may end up doing this on some instruments of mine. A fine polishing stone like that would make slow progress that would be easy to control. Very cool!

3. Yep - using the stone was key. It prevented me from taking away too much too fast.
    I planed the stone before using it, just by wet-sanding it on a piece of 120 grit sand paper on a perfectly flat piece of glass. And since the stone has two sides (1000 and 3000 grit), I could also use it to polish the fret surfaces.