Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Euro LX sounds awful with Sansamp

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Mar 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hmm, I've been setting up my rig so that I can use the Sansamp alone and not HAVE to use the EQ on my amp if I'm really pushed. Now, the fat tube settings seem best for this, and my Thumb and old spector NS-2 sound great.....the Euro LX sounds terrible. It's got this kinda constant 'zingy' bright distortion sound goin on in the background, and it really is not nice at all. Any ideas?
    Btw, i didn't know whether to post this in basses or in effects.

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    As we've said in other threads, your Euro has a MUCH higher output preamp than the other two basses. Roll the bass and treble controls down to near flat, and watch your input gain.

3. That's the point, the EQ is flat. Someone has said it may be a dead battery? True?

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Thats very possible. A low battery can create distortion. You are aware the your Spector preamp is flat when its rolled all the way off, right? But, you're on the right track. The FIRST thing to try is to change the battery.

5. One thing, I am using the Fat Tube settings on the sansamp. Obviously this means the blend knob is full. If I turn it down the distortion becomes less, but it doesn't sound quite as fat and punchy. Could this still be a dead battery in the spector's pre amp?

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    YES, it could. But again, it sounds if you are overdriving something, either with the bass preamp, or the Sans Amp.

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    So......change the battery in your bass, and EXPERIMENT. You may have to use settings that aren't exactly the same as in your sansamp manual. Find your sound by trying new things out, not by setting the preamp and forgetting it. You have to remember, every bass is different and each one may require a different setting on your sansamp, amp, etc.

8. Hey Nick,
    That's cool.
    fc

9. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Dont' put the blend on full. Who cares what the book says, the blend is just ughy beyond 3 o clock, and I usually have mine at 12.

10. Hmmm, well how come the warwick and old spector sound so good with the blend at full?

11. Excellent point. I think you just have some really bad-sounding gear.

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    EUro LX with sansamps SUCKS!

13. I can't believe this thread hasn't exploded into a massive disaster yet. The key word is 'yet', I guess

14. Because you and 'Fro don't share a pair of ears.

Mike

15. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Tell that to the surgeon.

16. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Because, as I already posted and you apparently ignored..
    EVERY BASS IS DIFFERENT. Your Warwank and MIK have different preamps than your Euro LX does.

17. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I think the only solution would be for you to send me the Euro LX. I'll send you another MIK NS2A since you can already make that sound good.

18. We're just running in circles. The Euro 5-lx is a gift from god. Ditch teh sansamp if neccessary.

19. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    We know your Amps EQ is flat....What about your Bass? The onboard preamp on your spector is really, REALLY hot, and cranking the bass even halfway puts most preamps to shame. Also, it is boost only, so the bass is not flat unless bass and treble are rolled all the way counter clockwise.
    It was unclear from your post whether you were talking about the bass's EQ, or the amps EQ.

Also....maybe try rolling off the volume knob on the spector a bit? It might bring the output down to a more manageable level, somewhere around that of your other two basses.

Good luck. Good tone is a constant battle when you are determining your own voice.

20. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I don't know anything about the sansamp, but maybe the "tube" setting on it is also there to create the sound of an overdriven tube?
    Set the EQ flat, turn the vol down the whole way on your bass, setup your sansamp how you had it from your other basses, and then roll up the volume until you reach the point where the distortion returns.
    Also, check your battery. Get a meter and do the cable test. Take it out and put it on your tongue, whichever.
    Also, play around with the settings on the sansamp... just because the book gives you a few examples, doesn't mean that you have to stick with them.

Ray

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.