Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Euro Spector vs. Peavey Cirrus?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sonorous, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Any opinions? This isn't really a "which one should I buy" kind of thing, so don't ask what kind of styles I would want to play. I'm really just asking for a comparison from people who have had experience with both. Just your thoughts on the two.

2. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Bump?

3. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Well, I own a Cirrus and played a couple of Euro Spectors.
    Here´s what I like from each one.

Cirrus: Superb construction, almost high end. Fast neck. Slim C neck profile. Great slap sound (similar to a Kubicki). Good pre / pickups combination. Versatility.
    Spector: Ergonomic design, very comfortable. A lot of "bite" when plucked hard. Flawless construction. Well defined sound with lots of variations.

4. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Bump to Revive This interesting thread. I think there are a lot of parallels in these two direction of sound. The only thing is that I think that Spectors have more respect in the music world. People typically see Peavey on the headstock and freak, but little do they know. I've owned both, but at very different points in my career as a musician. bumpity bump bump. I'd like to hear others thoughts.

5. wujuu

wujuu

May 28, 2006
    UT
    another bump

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Both fine basses, but if I was choosing just one, for me, it would be no contest. I'd go with the Peavey. Although I think the Spectors are beautiful looking and sounding basses, they fit me very poorly ergonomically. The neck shape doesn't jive with my hand, the one I owned (NS5CRFM) was VERY heavy, and it had pretty bad neck dive. The Cirri fit me much better.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm with the cheezman on this. The neck and weight of the Cirrus work much better for me than the Spector.

I also think that the Cirrus covers most of the same ground tonally that the Spector does, but can do some things that the Spector cannot.