European BassDay - Nijmegen NL, November 2nd, 2003

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jazz Ad, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Well - that's one of the 'bad' features - that it doesn't allow you to scroll to the bottom and is cut off! :rolleyes:

But even so ...

Quite frankly if the event is anything like as "amateurish" as the website, then I certainly wouldn't want to go!

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    It works for me, Bruce. Use the big arrows on the left to scroll.

Could it be your browser?

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Well - I use Internet Explorer - which is the most-used in the world - so if it doesn't work for me, than that doesn't betray very good planning does it!! :rolleyes:

So - not that it matter but - the last thing I can see is "Lars Lehmann" in Blue!

But - surely you are not defending this as a good website!! It is blurred - it is just straight text with no thought - linear - no links - no graphics - where are the maps to show you where it is!!??

It is so inadequate, I can't begin to list all that is wrong with it and is missing!!

So - this is what I saw, when I clicked that link [​IMG]

Hardly creates a good "first impression"
    !! :meh:

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You need Flash for it Bruce.

Scroll speed sucks though. I prefer html.

5. Bruce Lindfield

I have Flash and have visited many Flash websites - this must just be bad planning, forethought, whatever - as my setup must be pretty typical - but I just get nothing! No error messages - like you need xxxx plug-in etc.

6. Norre

Norre

Jan 5, 2001
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Bruce, I agree that this is not the best site ever (though I've seen worse ...).
    Like JMX I also prefer faster (HTML) sites. Don't need no fancy stuff ... just fast and easy browsing. However, not going to the event because their website is not good is a little drastic, don't you think? Maybe the organizers don't want to spend lots of $$$ (or should I say €€€) for a professional webdesign. After all, this is just a once-in-a-year event.

KN

7. Bruce Lindfield

Well - if they can't even get a website to work and give basic information - what hope have they of organising a large event? :meh:

If I had seen maps, details - pictures etc . I might have been encouraged to come - as it is - no way!! :rolleyes:

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    this is not bass specific, so i'll move it over to miscellaneous.

be sure to post pics if you can :)

9. Norre

Norre

Jan 5, 2001
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Am I the only one or are there others who where disappointed?
    It's was very small. Very few (or is it little) company's. Actually there wasn't much to see.
    Exept for 2 or 3 builders of custom basses (Hot Wire, De Gier, Nexus ... that's about it).
    And they charged 25€ for it.
    The only good thing is that I finally had a chance to play Aguilar stuff ... and yes, I was impressed. Also the Hevos stuff was pretty cool.
    The shows turned out to be a big slap-fest ... and slap-fests really don't interest me.
    Anyway, I don't think I'll ever go back.
    I'll save my money for Frankfurt Musicmesse.

That's just my opinion.

KN

10. Bruce Lindfield

Well - that's what I expected from seeing such a poor website - that's what I meant - that it wouldn't be worth me travelling there from England.

I'm sure if it had been a big event they could have got the website right and encouraged people from England to come.

11. BassGuyNL

BassGuyNL

Jul 20, 2000
    The Netherlands
    Did I miss something, or what?

How can it be that, after being surrounded by some of the nicest musical instruments made on the planet for several hours, I have not heard a single note of MUSIC at all!!

The only thing I saw and heard were FREAKS, banging, slapping, and tapping away on basses,and this was as true for the "artists" on the stage as for the guys molesting the basses in the companybooths. :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: And I always tought bassplaying was about malimg music.

I must admit I could not stand to stay until Richard Bona went onstage (my headache wouldn't let me), so hopefully he made the difference.

The good thing was, I got to talk to the good folks of Hotwire basses, who were extremely nice and their instruments look and feel superb!

12. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    What magic would we English have imparted?:confused:

Wulf

13. Bruce Lindfield

Well I was just saying that my initial impressions from seeing the website lead me to think it would be exactly how Norre decribed it - people had said before that I shouldn't judge from a website....

Now I'm effectively saying : "Told you so! "! :spit:

But in a more 'mature' way!! ;)

14. Norre

Norre

Jan 5, 2001
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I knew you were gonna say that :D ... and you are 100 % right.

I agree with Anton that the people from Hotwire basses were really nice! And they make GREAT basses!

15. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    I was there! And I enjoyed it, but I got really tired of all those slappers. If they can't do anyting else, then just showing all those snapping highs and banging lows. It would be cool, if they had the proper technique.. but oh Lord. My ears were getting frustrated. Like if one doens't need to have technique or bassfeeling to slap well.

Funny fact: The first ten minutes when I came in, two guys were playing in front of eachother in D, and I took a bass from the Ashdown importer and I played along. Some journalist made a photograph, but I haven't seen it anywhere yet.

Anyway... I played a lot of really nice bassguitars. Because there were so many slappers and poppers, people stopped to listen to me playing mostly picking-style on a fretless or fretted bass. When I was trying a Markbass stack with some subtle notes, playing it all quite dynamically, the guy on the other side got irritated of the enormous volume of this gear. He turned his Ashdown Mark King combo fully open and banged like an uneducated animal my composition into the ground. Thank you very much!

In fact only the performance of Richard Bona pleased me. It was really fantastic in my opinion. He is funny indeed, really ironic with his humor, laughing to the audience all the time... dancing... and laughing again. Some virtuoso! But indeed... the rest of the guys was only slappin' on stage and a freak with an horrible performance showed his skills made me go away within ten minutes. He played with Ozzy, so what??

In one word, a nice day for gagging at those basses. Being a student, I had to pay 10 euros' instead of 15, so that relieved the pain a little.

16. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    Holland
    A bunch of annoying guys showing their Flea impressions -> The reasing why I didn't wen't..

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2022