european cars

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tym2cu_bass, Feb 18, 2004.

1. aren't they wierd?
    any1 here ever drive a dushenburger? :ninja:
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    ...and that from an American.... ROFL :p

What's a dushenburger?
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

European cars?

Like :

Alfa Romeo

etc. etc.

4. I have a Saab 900. It's pretty weird. The ignition is under the handbrake, and the hood opens funny.
  5. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I think he's referring to the vomit-inducing aesthetics of companies like Peugot, Yugo, etc.
  6. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Give me Japanese sportscars that were inspired by European designs. :)

7. An excellent example of this would be the R34 Nissan Skyline...oh baby, that thing screems sex. :cool:
  8. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Not a great example of "european" inspired design. It screams "designed by a japanese teenager who loves video games" to me :)

Now if the R35 goes into production looking anything like the prototype, that will be classy. When I think of European designs I think of Peugot, Ferrari, Lamboghini etc - cars that look like they come from a fashion house rather than a production line.
  9. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The U.S.-bound version of the Lotus Elise might be the perfect compromise. A Lotus with a Toyota engine!

I'd love to have one, but I've sworn off new, rapidly-depreciating cars for the time being. Heck, I've already got me a ride with a Toyota engine, that sits behind me, no less, like an engine should. No, she's not a Lotus, but she's closer than most folks will ever get to experiencing the real deal! :hyper:
  10. That Saab's hood looks like a mechanic's nightmare. It isn't as simple to change the oil with a hood in your face. ;)

I love Italian cars. I personally like most European car makers. Maserati hasn't been listed yet so I'm gonna add it to the list. Amazing cars.
  11. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too

ummm.... mr2...... just a guess?

I love my RSX-S it's muy, muy speedy, but I need a trailer for my 15" combo..... errr.
  12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I currently drive a BMW 528i. It not only has HP but torque as well. It is beautifully instinctive to urban-suburban driving.

My wife enjoys a 2001 Volvo V-70. It has the better stereo, but is just a "car" in the HP-torque dept. But it has been a very good car overall.

I appreciate an auto where the fundamentals are sound. I don't give a care for the "extras" if the basic function (point A to B) is compromised by lackluster engineering, poor road-handling, and cheap parts. I also am easily annoyed by cheap-looking interiors and gadgetry especially if the basics are faulty as well.
  13. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX

Yeah, I feel ya about the need for a trailer, too. I recently played a gig where I got to use backline gear so all I had to bring was my bass. My wife met me there and had to catch a ride home with me. The *only* way to accomodate both of them was to stand the bass up behind the seats - which wouldn't have been bad except that meant I had to put the top down and it was about 39F that night -- Brrrrrr!!!

I actually almost bought a small trailer for the MR2 when I was autocross racing the car - but learned it was actually possible to fit 4 wheels - with race tires mounted - into the passenger compartment - oh the things you can learn on the internet!!!
  14. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    39f is a balmy summer night in NY.....

soooooo mr2 or not??? if so how do ya like her???
  15. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Nice - a good friend of mine has a 540i w/6 speed. What a blast to drive! Unfortunately, it spends too much time in the shop for my tastes -- not to knock your ride, though P - Schweeet! :)
  16. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Haven't even heard of a "Dushenberger" they actually exist.

But I bought a new car last July and tried out several. But I had to go for something that could haul my cabs.

The Subaru WRX that was just absolutely NUTZ!!!!. If I lived where JMX does and could drive on that "jet landing strip, the Autobahn, I could see owning one.

Here's what last year's ""Automobile" mag had to say about the WRX - "At $24,720, the WRX is the hot-rod deal of the century, a real-world turbocharged terror that more than holds its own against the stratospheric $71, 095 (BMW) M5. We are crazy about it. Whichever you chose, you'll own the best sport sedan your money can buy."

17. As far as i know, there was alot of engineering done on the R34 in Germany. Then again, i could be wrong.
  18. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Oh yeah, MR2 is correct. My neighbor down the street has a nice 911 but she's a garage queen - I'd much have a lesser car that I can flog and have real fun with. Speaking of which - here's a video of me racing her. This run is with street tires when I first got the car, so she's not showing her full potential here, but I think you'll get the idea!:

Oh - if I look a bit tentative at the end part of the run, it's because I'd just spun out in a glorious 360 at the end of my previous run!

19. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    the mr2 is a very cool ride! I test drove her and almost dragged my tongue on the ground it's so low. way tooooo small for me, the rsx is perfect............. race ya- :spit:

i'm going to Maine in the spring, anybody want to have a cannon ball run????
  20. Now that's what you call reliability.... :p

And let's not forget FIAT (Fix it again Tony). Had a Fiat 1600 TC Sedan in HS. The headlights brightened when you pushed on the gas, dimmed when you pressed the brakes. Their electrical system left something to be desired.... :D