Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

European Metal in North America

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bassist_anubis, Oct 11, 2003.

1. Now I'm typing this from Canada, so this is aimed towards people who live in North America. Now I have noticed that those awsome bands from overseas that are underground in Canada and US are starting to get popular. In guitar and bass mags I noticed more articles on bands like Children of Bodom and musicions like Yngwie Malmsteen.

Is it just me or are more people these days listen to more underground bands and less Slipnots
    and Merlin Mansons.

2. dhwood40

dhwood40

Dec 10, 2000
    Virginia
    I think it has just taken some time for these guys to get heard. I've been listening to bands like Opeth, Lacuna Coil, Emperor et al.. for years, but with no radio play, and limited touring, these guys have had to go on word of mouth. Even geographically closer bands (such as Cryptopsy) from Canada have had a hard time. A lot if not most people in the states still buy music based on radio play. And with few exceptions, you are not going to hear any of these bands on the air. American advertisers would have a stroke if the heard Dying fetus right before their ads for discount mattresses. So it will just take each fan trying to spread the word to get this music out.

I guess you could also argue that more popular bands with an edgier side have helped open the door for their heavier cousins. Maybe people have just grown tired of Slipknot (I have) and Manson (2nd) and have started looking for that new thing. For alot of Americans, European metal is a vast undiscovered landscape. Hell, we don't even give respect to some of our best bands (i.e. Nevermore).

So if you love metal-look east, over the pond. A lot of great things going on over there.

3. Thats what happened to me. Same thing happened in the late 80's with hair metal, and the growth in popularity in metallica, megadeth, slayer, and anthrax. It seems as if history is repeating itself.

If u like quaility underground metal. Heres one from Toronto. www.goathorn.com

:bassist:

4. Dee-tuned

Dee-tuned

Oct 13, 2003
    Southern Va
    That picture is a little scary.

One of my favorites at the moment are Prototype (they also went be Psychosis for a while. They're an american band but definitely underground. Good old fashion speed/thrash.

Check them out, you can download most of their stuff of the web.

5. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I'm in one now - they've been underground since 1991. Check the link if you like! :)

Underground scenes (of all kinds) may be smaller, but they are more loyal and the people generally know their stuff.

Where in Canada are you located?

6. Right now Im in Collage in Toronto, living in Scarborough, but Im from Pekmbroke (just a 2hrs. North West of Ottawa)

7. I just saw Arch Enemy with Slayer .... they really tore it up. I've been wanting them to come over here for awhile.

Next, I really want to see Witchery.

I think Children of Bodom is touring here soon .... not sure.

8. CoB are going to be in Toronto on Nov 11 with a few other bands

Arch enemy Rulez

9. Whats weird is we have a band here in St. Louis called Anubis and I thought you were the bass player - heh, unless you commute from Canada, I guess you're not him :D

10. They look like mid 80's Sodom! :D Let me guess, they play old school thrash? Nothing against that, though, I just thought they looked goofy!

Jeez, I didn't know there was people still wearing bullet belts in 2003!

11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Nah, more like Destruction :D

12. They listen to thrash like Cathedral, priest and madien. DL their MP3's though, their pretty good.

lol, I got the name from ancient history class in high school, Anubis was the Jackel-headed Egyptian god of the dead (he's on the mummy returns)

13. In my book, none of those bands are thrash metal.

14. Ditto. Cathedral is more like doom, while the other two are, well, "traditionnal" metal.

Peace. :bassist:

15. True, True. My mistake.

Did anyone DL their samples? Its the music that caounts

Plus dose anyone know anyother good underground bands?

16. Of course. I was laughing at their looks :)D) but thei music may be great, I haven't heard them yet. :)

17. aristotle chang

aristotle chang

May 25, 2003
    Some good underground bands...

Opeth

Lacuna Coil

Borknagar

Cynic (Their CD is impossible to find in stores, you can get downloads though)

December (I've only heard one song but it was pretty cool)

Meshuggah

18. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    A band from the bay area that's really good is Hacksaw to the Throat. A couple guys from one of my former bands is friends with their bass player. I saw them live and own an early copy of their CD. They're awesome. Go check them out on mp3.com.