Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

european musiciansfriend.com ???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sprinkler, Aug 31, 2002.

1. Sprinkler

Sprinkler [account disabled]

Jul 31, 2002
    I'm desperatly looking for a site like musiciansfriend that ships to europe!
    Because in the stores, everything costs about twice as much as on the net :( .

thx

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Don't know, but what I know for sure is that there will soon be something similar to MF in France... Just a few weeks to wait... ;)

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

4. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
    What's your location?

From what I heard, musicstore-koeln.de should be the best.

5. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I have made few orders to Thomann.de and I can say they are a good company. In fact, they have just shipped my new Peavey cab, I'm expecting it in next week. They focus on low- and mid-range stuff though, so you might want to look into other German webstores if you are looking for expensive equipment.

6. Sprinkler

Jul 31, 2002
    I live in Belgium.
    I'm especially looking for cheap amplification.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Get used to it!!

Anything coming into Europe will have VAT added at 17.5% and other charges like customs duty - even if it is shipped from the US, you will have to add about half as much again on to the price you are quoted - at least There's no legal way round it!

It's not just basses - everything in the US is about half the price in Europe - my sister often goes to New York to buy her Christmas presents, the money she saves, more than covers the cost of the flight and she usualy has a good time as well.

8. Sprinkler

Jul 31, 2002
    it's not fair :(

well we've got better insurances then them :D

9. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
    From what I know, in Belgium www.piens.be is the biggest, www.keymusic.be is the cheapest.

10. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Well, you just have to buy European stuff then. Lot cheaper here than in US, that stuff is :)

11. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    nothing that can beat the street price of USA dealers...

if i shop online and buy without trying i have to see a really low price tag.

12. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Well, in France things should be considered in a different way, because of our specific laws. And I suppose that one day or another, all European countries will have all their laws harmonized together... :rolleyes:

In France, if you shop online, the shop MUST allow you to return the instrument within a 7-day deadline from delivery date. But he can refuse the return if the instrument is not in a perfect condition (instrument, accessories and packaging). Then the shop must refund you within 30 days. Shipping costs for return are paid by the customer.

If you shop in a street shop, absolutely NO law binds the shop to accept any return and refund. And an instrument you buy new in a street shop has probably been played by several players before you pick it.

Regarding to these guarantees and conditions, online prices should be higher than those of street shops.

All the best,

13. Bruce Lindfield

Although this seems logical,I'm not sure it applies in practice.

So - I have tried loads of basses in the UK and to get the same standard or quality of bass it seems to be about the same price. I actually found that used, US basses were about the same or slightly less.

So for about £1700 - £2000 I could get a very good, new Wal or Status bass - made in UK. But for the same price I can pick up a used Sadowsky, Ken Smith or Tobias/MTD. (just a few examples I have actually tried - I could give loads more)

Basically I think you get what you pay for, based on the standard of living wher you live. Looking at prices in another country is just a waste of time.

14. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I have to agree with Bruce - again!

Anything shipping into the EC worth over £18 (28 Euros??) is subject to VAT and import duties - it adds a huge amount to what may have seemed a bargain price!

However, anything bought from within the EC will have this duty levied already!

I have made a few purchases from Thomann, these were Czech Spector basses - although they were NOS SSD basses, and without the newer Spector logo (which has been used for 4 or 5 years!)

These were a total bargain - Tsal will testify to this - and are actually fime basses, but in need of an electronics upgrade as the pups aren't EMG!

Getting a real bargain anywhere is difficult, occasioanlly you get a good blow out - like the Thomann one, but there is usually a compromise, as there will be a reason for it!

15. Bruce Lindfield

Yup - this means you can get cheap strings by ordering single sets from the US - but for basses - forget it!!

I call them "Musician's Enemy" as they are always sending out "Spam" with "tempting" prices, but when you read the small print they can't ship outside US or Canada for this!! :mad:

My best advice is just to ignore any advertising from the US - you'll just waste your time and make yourself very angry!! ;)

16. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium
  17. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I agree with Berten, TGS are the cheapest.... if piens or Keymusic or Lemca Brussels promote an item , TGS will do it too with a more interesting price ...

I'm in belguim ( Charleroi ) and I did almost 3h train for buying item in Gent !

By the way, I visited some links above...
    EUmusician is the cheapest....

18. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
    Ok... I believe you, but they don't list much of their gear online.
    Do they have a lot in stock? If they do I should check them out.

19. Sprinkler

Jul 31, 2002
    mmh, i'll give them a check.

Belgium playas, unite! :)