1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

European Orchestra gig?

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by chicagodoubler, Apr 8, 2009.

1. chicagodoubler

chicagodoubler Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Chicago, that toddling town
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Genz Benz
    It seems there's half a dozen orchestral openings on the other side of the pond for every one here...

Anyone have experience scoring one of these chairs?

Visa issues? Comparative pay scale? Language barrier? Travel issues? Hot Euro-babes?:p

With all the hassle guys are going through here just to face a no-hire, and with the number of incredible players applying for such a small amount of gigs, elsewhere is sounding better every day.

2. ekspain

ekspain

Feb 22, 2008
    Europe
    I have a Job in Spain. The Orquesta Sinfonica de Castilla y Leon. The money is pretty good. Its a safe bet as far as not folding. The cost of living is reasonable. I have a hot Spanish girlfriend, and I go to Paris for lessons, and sometimes London. Travel is easy.
    I'd like to move to France.

Work papers are usually attained when you win the job. I speak Spanish, French...

Culturally getting used to a place is difficult. Spain is difficult to get used to, the mentality is alot more conservative than California.

3. MDEbass

MDEbass

Dec 15, 2008
    Houston
    good questions. i am curious about the same thing. hopefully this will turn into a good thread.

4. John Goldsby

John Goldsby Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Bassist @ WDR Big Band Cologne, Teaching at Conservatorium Maastricht, NL
    I work at the WDR (Westdeutscher Rundkfunk) in Cologne. I play in the WDR Big Band (jazz), but there are also two orchestras and a choir employed by the radio. The source for finding out about jobs in Germany would be das Orchester Magazine. You would probably have to subscribe to the mag--I don't think they post the audition stuff online. I think in the April issue, there were 30 or more announcements for bass auditions. There are all levels of orchestras here -- just like in the US. The better ones pay . . . better.

As ekspain implies, it helps to speak the language . . . plus, you would need a bit of wanderlust (as they say here) to pick up and leave Chicago.

5. anonymous12251111

anonymous12251111 Banned

Apr 6, 2007
    Is work unheard of for a French Bow player in Germany?

6. professorslinky

professorslinky Banned

Apr 7, 2008
    Boise Idaho
    Yes, French bow is inferior and for some reason Germany is the only country that knows it. Ny phil and La phil seem to be getting the idea though. I suggest changing bows or choosing a different career path.

7. anonymous12251111

anonymous12251111 Banned

Apr 6, 2007
    "Satory" made French Bows. Last time I checked that's what Rabbath played as well...

8. professorslinky

professorslinky Banned

Apr 7, 2008
    Boise Idaho
    Calvin you shouldn't change your post every time you think of something more clever to say than "Okay, Thanks"

And I never said I liked Rabbath, I just thought it was a epic quote at Domaine. And if Satory had heard me I'm sure he would have only made german bows.

9. anonymous12251111

anonymous12251111 Banned

Apr 6, 2007
    S- a - R- t- o- r- y. :)

10. John Goldsby

Mar 4, 2003
    Right . . . they mostly seem to play German here, and in France . . . well, you get the picture I think ;)

11. fholeyou

fholeyou

May 21, 2007
    It seems to me that, from looking at musicalchairs.info, most orchestras in EU countries will only let EU passport holders/people who already hold EU work visas apply for positions unless it is for a titled spot.

Does anyone have more information about this?

12. John Goldsby

Mar 4, 2003
    There are a lot of Americans, Australians, Korean -- non-EU players in German orchestras. If you get a contract offer from an orchestra, then you can work out getting the appropriate working papers and residence permit.

13. ekspain

ekspain

Feb 22, 2008
    Europe
    Some countries require that you have a residence and work permit in that country before applying for the position. If the position isn't filled by someone from there, they hold international auditions. Chop 92, I was under the impression that German jobs were particularly insulated? Europe in general may tend to be some what endogamic in its hiring procedure, however this is not always the case.

14. John Goldsby

Mar 4, 2003
    You might be right—my position is considered a solo position. I got the working papers and residence permit only after I was offered the job.

I think players looking for a job here tend to come out of the German Conservatory system—and there are a lot of foreign students going to school here. They already have student visas. In addition, I think it is logistically more practical to apply for a job within the EU when you are already living here. I will ask a few of the colleagues from the orchestras when I see them this week.

ek: How long have you been with the Orquesta Sinfonica de Castilla y Leon?

15. MDEbass

MDEbass

Dec 15, 2008
    Houston
    Not sure about Germany, but the Vienna Philharmonic requires the use of German bows exclusively.

16. chicagodoubler

Aug 7, 2007
    Guys, once again, can we please ignore all things "slinky."

His opinions on the merits of the bow are well documented, and we've certainly all seen his video on the technique thereof:

17. ekspain

ekspain

Feb 22, 2008
    Europe
    Hey Chop, going on my 3rd season. I was going to IU previously, doing my masters, then I got the job here. How long you been in Germany?

18. ekspain

ekspain

Feb 22, 2008
    Europe
    is this for real???? he's got nothing to brag about!:meh:

19. chicagodoubler

Aug 7, 2007
    ;)

20. John Goldsby