Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

European Union TBers, particularly Scandinavian... Can you help me with my homework?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gabu, Mar 13, 2004.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I am in an international marketing class. I have been tasked with comparing the marketing done in the United States to the marketing done in Sweden with regard to children's toys. I am searching for information on the internet, but I also thought it would be great to get info from people that actually live in the EU area. So if you could help, that would be great! :)

My questions are:

How regulated is the marketing to children in your nation?

Is the marketing of toys (for younger children) typically done more towards the parents or more towards the kids?

How agressive is the marketing to them?

Also, do you have references on this subject that you can refer me to?

Thanks in advance!!

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Try lexis-nexis.

3. I don't know about Sweden, but over here and in Britain the ads are aimed nearly 100% at the kids. Germany too, as far as I can remember. I didn't see much telly there, but I think it was much the same. Hope that helps a bit.

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    In national television, I think marketing to children is forbidden. However, there is so far no law that forbids TV stations registered in another country to broadcast in Sweden, and follow the rules of the country the company is registered in rather than the Swedish law. We have at least one channel (TV3, registered in the UK, which allow kids' commercials), that almost every cable viewer can watch, which is allowed to, and does, show commercials aimed directly for kids. They also show TV commercials for liquor, which also are forbidden in national television.

I believe that a change is on the way, a new law that will force all channels that broadcast in Sweden, regardless where they're based, to follow the same rules and regulations as the stations based here. I don't know if it's only talk or something that will actually happen.

So, if you're going to market toys through TV, you will have to masque it as a commercial directed to adults, or do other product placement tricks. So specific products will be quite difficult to market, but you can make a company name known in many other ways.

I think this restriction is only with TV, IIRC magazines and newspapers may publish ads directed at kids.

During the breaks in and between cartoons and such in TV3, I'd say quite. While the message is more subtle than "buy this or you suck!", the picture is pretty exaggerated (like all commercials) and stereotypical (which can be pretty powerful, since kids don't recognize stereotypes). I don't think it's that different from e.g. British or American. The magazine ads seem more laid-back, but that is also sort of the nature of the media, isn't it?

Unfortunately not. I wish I had one, since I'm not 100% certain myself.

5. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Thanks guys for your advice. :) I found a bunch of stuff regarding Swedish law, but I didn't think of the possibility of non-Swedish companies airing comercials in Sweden.

Also, my class is not particularly aimed at television, but I figured that the tele would be one good way to aim directly at parents. The other way I thought of was advertising in parenting magazines.

I have never heard ads directed at 'parents' on radio in the United States, nor have I seen builboard ads for that purpose. It may be just that because I am not a parent yet myself, that I have not noticed.

One thing that is hard to pinpoint is that each nation may be more conservative than other countries in one way, but more liberal in other ways. It seems that Sweden is somewhat similar to Germany in their conservatism from the things I have read.

I also noticed that the Finnish language does not have the same roots as the other main Scandinavian nations. Is their attitude much different than their Nordic neighbors?

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I wouldn't think of our standing in this particular issue as either liberal or conservative, but as common sense. ;) Or at the very least respectfully humanistic.

They are even more stiff than the already stiff Swedes. And they drink more booze and coffee. You'd think neither was possible, but the Finns are living proof. ;)