1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Eurosonic d string broke

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Physcie, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Physcie

Physcie

May 9, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    I checked out some other treads that said double bass strings shouldn't break very often. I got this set new about 4 months ago and the D string broke last night. (Kind of a fun challenge playing a set with only 3 strings, though annoying) It broke through both layers of the core right on the bridge, but not the synthetic wrapping. So, it didn't go flying off, thankfully, just a little pop.

Just curious what an average lifetime of a string is. I play in a bluegrass band (almost no slapping and no bowing) for about 5-7 hours a week. I'm also pretty new to the bass, being I got my BM in jazz trombone.

BTW, this forum is amazing! Lots of great info.

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    Cape of New Jersey
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music (retired)
    If a string breaks at the bridge it's usually a definitive indication that the string wasn't moving smoothly over the bridge. At least based on my experience, it probably snagged and then broke as the action of play and tuning over-stressed that area.

Some strings are more liable to break that others. Gut can be like rolling dice, as organic material is not as predictable as steel. Strings that are largely made of synthetic materials can also be more sensitive to stresses that steel can withstand. However, steel string longevity can also be dependent on the nature of the construction, as most "steel" strings have woven steel cores, unlike wound guitar/bass guitar strings that have solid cores.

3. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    You need to make sure there are no sharp edges at the bridge, or anywhere else along the string path. Also be sure to lubricate the bridge and nut slots with pencil graphite or beeswax.

I have never heard of anyone breaking a Eurosonic, actually. Those are pretty tough strings with a metal core.