1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eurosonic Light or Ultra light?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Doghouse_Oli, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Hi

I have a question: My bass is actualy strung with Spiro solo downtuned on E&A and Plain gut on D&G.. I love this setup but the gut begin to be unstable due to the season change... I need more stable string on the D&G .......

I've found That the eurosonic came in light and UltraLight and I want to know if someone ever experience matching Spirocore Solo E&A with Eurosonic D&G and what gauge would match best to keep the Gut like feeling..... The tension on the spiro solo tuned down is 57.8Lbs per string....

thanks for your help

2. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    I haven't tried the Spiro solos yet, but here's what I've found.

On my newer 3/4 Eastman, which I'm beginning to believe is a slightly "tighter" bass, as far as how strings behave, Spiro Weich E/A matched up quite well with Presto Light D/G. (Presto is essentially the European version of Eurosonic).

When I tried that combo on my 4/4 Strunal that I use for slapping styles, the Weichs matched up perfectly well with the Ultralights. Go figure. I think the longer string length has something to do with that, but it could be other factors in the bass as well - stuff that collectively would add up to the bass "feeling tight" or "loose" or whatever.

If you're downtuning solos - I'd imagine the Ultralights might be what you're looking for. To a certain degree that's just a guess though, without playing your bass.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021