1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eurosonic Steel Core Orchestra string- my O

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by SeayBass, May 8, 2010.

1. SeayBass

SeayBass Supporting Member

Hi all,
    I just got some eurosonic steel core 'orchestra' strings, and put a G on my bass. I did not try the whole set, in hopes I can return the other 3. I'm posting this for other curious types.

My opinion:
    not bad, not great. On my bass, it was a comfortable tension and responded well to the bow. It was darker than I expected, and not too loud. It was replacing a Flexocor Original G string. The difference I noticed immediately was that it's thinner, did not vibrate as widely, and was darker in tone. It was also less resonant on/in the bass.
    Pizzicato sound was thunky, but not pingy. I think the flexocor O. is better for jazz.

I think these strings bow well and have a warm rich sound, but there's more pleasing strings on the market to my ear. I believe they would be more desireable if they were at a lower price point.

2. All Eurosonics have a steel core, so I guess you're talking of the ones with a steel outer wrap? (Presto Balance in europe)

You wrote: "I think these strings bow well and have a warm rich sound...".
    Since you seem to have tried a single string, why do you use plural?
    It seems you didn't leave much time for the string to settle in either.
    All in all, with all due respect, I think your judgement is somewhat premature, and maybe over-generalized if you tried only one string.

Regards,
    François

3. SeayBass

SeayBass Supporting Member

The strings are marketed as steel core, orchestra- that's what they're called. Light guage.
    I did not let the string settle, you are right. I have never had a string get brighter as it settled, so I took it off. Maybe it would change the world if I put the whole set on. . .
    Thank you for correcting my grammar. Grammar is important when we try to communicate in writing- and you are quite right. I did only try the one string, not the set. - I realize this may read as sarcasm, but I am sincere.

all in all, my judgement was quick, and that is why I generalize. I don't have time to wait on a string for which I have relatively low hopes.
    Until recently, I used Sprio medium on A and E, with flexocors of some variety on the D and G on my 100 yr old Italian bass. I am looking for a the best setup for my bass after a major repair, so I am trying some stuff. I need a good arco sound and response, with good playability all the way up the neck, and I want it to speak and sustain enough for a serious jazz performance. (Is that too much to ask? :()
    In a nutshell, I know what I want, and this string ain't it. I play arco, jazz, theater, orchestra, opera, band, rocknroll, and world music professionally. And this was not the string of choice for me.
    So for all other bassist who do the sorts of things I do- I just thought I'd share my take on the Eurosonic Steel Core Orchestra Light Guage strings to provide some additional insight.

best,
    -seaybass

4. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the G string, but IMHO, you'd be surprised if you could spare some time with the whole set.
    Believe me, they are excellent strings!

Best regards,
    François

5. davpal

davpal

May 19, 2006
    Lambertville, NJ
    I used these strings for a while and thought they were pretty much the same as Spirocores.

5-16-10 After posting yesterday I got curious about the Eurosonics and thought I should have another listen to them so I could back up my statement..... They do feel and play like spiros, sort of a cross between weichs & mittles, but the sound is more mellow.... smoother. They don't have the spiro "zinginess" or buzz or whatever way one describes the distinctive "Spiro Sound" but still have about the same volume. They would be a great string choice for someone who wants a darker sound, perhaps for orchestral music. They sound very nice under the bow too.