Eurosonic 'Ultra Light'

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by TenorClef, Oct 5, 2004.

1. I'm trying to develop my bow technique which is not very good at the moment, i'm about to take the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music grade 2 exam, presently i have Eurosonic 'Lights' on my double bass which sound really groovey when played pizzicatto, but not so hot arco/bowed unless i get it dead centre then its fine.

Okay, so here's my question. Would the 'Ultra Lights' aid bowing technique or should i be thinking about moving onto to another type of string for bow work? I must also add i love my euronsonic lights but do find them difficult at times to bow well. Could this be my bow technique or are these strings not so hot for arco???
  2. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    HeathClef Huxtable:
    It's usually not so much the tension as it is the surface of the Eurosonics that can make them a little difficult to bow, regardless of gauge. Try roughing up the bowed area of the strings with some fine sandpaper -- this usually helps the Euros work out a little better in the arco department. If you already like the pizz sound, I'd try that first before buying new strings.
  3. Thanks Brent i'll give that a go!
  4. Yes, i appear to making some head way now, whilst still not perfect i do hear a lot less screaching, it's like the bow is catching the string better now so getting more immediate sound which for some odd reason makes the bass sound fuller. I have no idea why that would be the case. I think i'll leave these strings on for now as i do like them and plod away with my bow technique. I think i will be changing to the 'Ultra Lights' at some point because less tension on the strings should make them easier to play with the left hand right?
  5. Hi TenorClef,
    I have putted Eurosonics light on my bass two weeks ago and i completely agree with you regarding pizzicato. They sound good and full, almost as loud as the Spiro Orchestra, and have a really easy tension. The last time I took jazz solos, i felt like there was so much much I could do, i was more articulate, more expressive, and i could allow myself to do some "fretless bass stuff" on the upright bass. Well, the string allowed me to do much more, except maybe for the harmonics, that really don't come out as much as on a steel string.

Even if never got paid to bow, it is my solitary pleasure. I love playing the Progressive Repertoire. Personnally, I never got a decent bowing sound out of a Eurosonics light, and i really don't beleive less tension would be the key. I read somewhere that the guy recommanding the Eurosonics for bowing is using medium.

I have started switching string set, between Eurosonics and the Spiro... depending if I bow or if I pizz... That could be the solution. I guess i'll try Obligatos or weich soon. That might be the solution !

Both the Obligatos and the Eurosonics are a gut-emulation, so both strings must be similar. It could be the solution. If you haven't noticed yet, Obligatos seem to be a religion on
  6. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    The most effective way to realize maximum left hand ease is to make sure the instrument's nut is properly adjusted. If it's not, even the lowest-tension strings will feel quite a bit more difficult to stop than they have to feel.
  7. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    Vice President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.

Just a nice little reminder that the strings really were designed as a pizz string. We tried to get as close as we could to the sound and feel of gut but without all the drawbacks that gut can bring.

Jazz, Bluegrass, RAB...whatever floats your boat.

While some users do like and swear by them with a bow after some mild modifications, I dont think most users would agree. I'm not sure if Dan O'Brien is on TB or not, but he is a fan of them bowed.
  8. Eric, I have been playing a set of Ultra Lights for the last 6 months, 2 - 3 gigs a week of bluegrass and old timey music (I do not bow.) Also, I have raised and lowered the action more times than I would care to admit. I love these strings, and I have been complimented on the sound. However, one annoying characteristic, and you may recognize the description I used on another board when I first got them...the open A string "boings" with a solid pull. In the closed position, no problem. The G, D and E in the open, pulling problem, no boing (metallic?) sound. I have ruled out the possibility of the A string striking the fingerboard and resulting in the boing. And I have been able to adjust my technique somewhat when I play the open A (not pulling as hard as I would on the other open strings.)

Have you gotten this feedback from anyone else? Do I happen to have one string that was defective and should be replaced?

I was thinking of moving down (up?) to a set of Lights which I believe have a different composition or are manufactured differently.

Again, I love the strings and I have put up with this "boing" because in a band situation, no one can hear it, including myself. But in the quiet of the practice room, it's there.

Your thoughts and comments will be appreciated, thanks.