eurosonic?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Jeff Bollbach, Mar 7, 2002.

1. telarcfatigue

telarcfatigue

Mar 16, 2002
    I have been fooling around with these Eurosonics on a Kay bass at the shop I frequent almost daily.
    I think they're terrible.Hardly any sustain, huge string diameters, and they feel bad to me.For Nylon,the Labella's I've played are much better, in my opinion.I've never played gut, so I can't compare the two, but the Eurosonic guys are apparently making it sound like they're giving the shop a set trial set of strings, and then sending them a bill, according to my shop's owner---Anyway, even for Rockabilly, or straight blugrass, I can't see how anyone could enjoy a full set of these strings.
    Just my opinion---And I knew better than to even try to bow them----

2. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    well I just put a set on my ply englehart maybe an hour ago. I had Pirastro Obligatos on there, which I liked

They are fat. So far i like them pretty well. The E string is not happening, in the sense that it seems stiff. And the G string is very bright. But they are very gut-like with a warm smooth sound and to my fingers are pretty easy-feeling. The attack is softer, and the sustain is a little less, the growl a little less, but then they are brand new and they feel very very different,. so i made need to learn how they play. No harder or easier to bow than the pirastros, I think so far. Apparently they used to be marketed as "Presto" many years ago. I'll let them "play in" a while and report back

3. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    Well I've had them on about a day now and they have settled in nicely. They sound better now than they did yesterday, by a lot. I like them a lot right now. They are very loud, very easy playing, and they have a very unusual feel. They are simultaneously softer feeling and stiffer, if that makes sense. The G string is noticeably brighter, the E string is a little too stiff and a little inarticulate, so if you're a fanatic about string balance you might be annoyed by this. But there's lots of very warm growl on the A and D. In bowing they start easy but have a little less dynamic range than the Obligatos--or rather, I have to work harder to get the same dynamic range. But they are easier to start than the Obs. I'm not very good with the bow, FWIW.

My pickup (K+K bass max) is giving me a lot of scratch sound with these--more finger noise, more sound of the finger sliding. I assume this will go away as they break in.
    Got a gig on thursday, and I'll post a followup.

4. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    Hope this is useful and not just a waste of bandwidth. Ok, had the gig and a couple rehearsals. They have played in nicely and improved in sound and feel, or else i'm adapting to them.

I like these strings, except the E is too big a string, and on my bass, a ply engle 3/4, it gets lost. The E and A are great--a huge sound, easy on the fingers and hands, and very defined though distinctly not as loud when played in the higher positions. They feel very different than Obligatos or helicores, which is what I was using before--very different, like a different ballpark altogether. I have no real experience with gut, so I can't really say if they are in that ballpark or in some wierd ballpark of their own. Arco remains easy to start, but with less dymanic range than the Obs

5. Resurrecting a Zombie Thread Again.
    I have actually played the Eurosonics mentioned throughout this thread, and those are decent Gut Replacements strings for old school Pizzicato and slap. That is not my thing, but they worked for the job they were assigned to do, and were nowhere near as temperamental as real guts. I know about real guts for bowing as well as plucking because I've had Dlugolecki make strings for me before. There is no substitute for Damien Dlugolecki Strings once you've tried them. Even the Eudoxas pale in comparison.

------HOWEVEVER-----------

On a recent trip down to The Quantum Bass Center to put some things on consignment, I tried a little Chinese Bass strung with Eurosonic Orchestra Strings. -----YOWZERS-------These things were bright yet smooth. Loud but mellow. Pretty much everything I've ever wanted from a string. They have the smooth bowing voice of the Original Flat Chromes from back in the day, with the Punchiness of Spirocores. Imagine a Spirocore Mittel that you could actually bow for orchestra. Bright, loud, and punchy, but zippo raspiness. I may have found the new string for me. I was strictly a Spirocore Weichs for double duty basses till now. If you see a bass with these--they have yellow wraps at the tailpiece end---you really need to try them. The wraps should be gold becuase the tone certainly is.

6. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    You're probably talking of the Presto Balance strings here:
    Presto Strings
    I don't know anybody who sells them in North America, you have to order them from Jonas Lohse in Germany.
    The orchestrals in medium gauge are rather stiff so maybe you played on the light gauge? (I had both sets in the past)

7. Oh they were definitely lighter. Similar to my Weichs in diameter. That's what made their depth and volume of sound so pleasantly surprising.

8. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    How do you know what strings were on the bass, by the way?
    Do they sell them too?

9. From the description of the string characteristics I also thought Presto Balance Hybrid, but if I remember correctly they don't have yellow silks.
    Might have been Presto Nylonwound / Eurosonic Medium.
    But I think I bow on Spirocore better than on Nylonwound or Jazzicato.

10. mark ketley

mark ketley

Jan 17, 2018
    Hi I have been reading though this and found it very interesting as I have been tempted to get a set can I ask witch ones you are using as they do 3 different ones,I am playing rockabilly so lots of slap
    Thanks in advance

11. Earl

Earl Supporting Member

For slap I would suggest the extra lights.

12. mark ketley

mark ketley

Jan 17, 2018
    Thanks for that

13. You find tension data for all three sets in my excel file inside my Dropbox. Link in my signature.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 28, 2021