Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eurosonics Revisited

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by JAS, Jul 10, 2004.

1. JAS

JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    California
    This last week I put my Eurosonic Ultra Light strings back on and took off the Solo Obligatos. I originally took the Eurosonics off after a couple days because they were hard to bow. I ruffed them up with sandpaper and they now sound really good. They are the most fun string I have ever played.

2. JAS -- why are they so much fun? Do they bow better, after the sanding? How do they sound? ETc.

3. JAS

JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    California
    After the sanding they sound much better and are much easier to bow. You still have to be a little more precice with your technique than the Obligatos but they have a very gut-like sound. At first it might sound a little nasal but the sound has a lot of character. The pizz sound is the best I have experienced on my bass. It is so warm and big and natural but with more sustain than Gut and about the same as Obligatos. These strings have really opened up my bass' sound. They are fun to play because they almost feel like nylon classical guitar strings but much thicker. They have very low tension but becasue of the feel and thickness of the strings, they are not too floppy like the solo obligatos felt tuned down.

At first, these strings took some getting used to but it is well worth the time and effort. At first I thought they were too low tension and were hard to play at fast tempos. I always play with a pretty light touch but with these you can play with a really light touch and at times (slower - medium tempos) you can really pluck the strings and get a very full natural sound. The sound is not at all metalic or pinched or muffled like I have experienced with most other strings to certain degree. These strings seem to have all the great qualities of gut strings without any of the comprimises with tuning stability and longitivity. My bass is also louder than ever before with these strings.