Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eurosonics vs Anima

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by JAS, Jan 2, 2005.

1. JAS

JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    California
    I have been using the Eurosonic Ultra Lights for about 6 months now and I have really enjoyed them for the most part. I like that I can use a magnetic pickup with them and they feel great. But, they don't bow well even after being scratched up and they seem to be loosing some of their tone after about 6 months.

I am thinking about trying the Velvet Animas. These are the ones that I think Rufis Reid uses. How do these strings compare?

-How do they bow?
    -Can I use a magnetic pickup with them?
    -Are they gut or synthetic, there seems to be some confusion on this?
    -What is the tension like?
    -How is the sustain?
    -Are all 4 strings wrapped in the same material?
    -What is the difference between these and the Garbos?

Thanks for any help!!

2. I've also used Eurosonics (lights) and like you found them to be pretty awful for arco even with the suggestions already mentioned. You might want to try Thomastik 'Superflexibles' i've had really good results with them for both arco and pizz. I'm presently concentrating on arco just to improve my intonation and general fretboard knowledge, however once i've secured a basic mastery of what i need to know i will go back to Euronsonics for pizz playing. They are great for that style.

3. JAS

JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    California
    They have been pretty great for pizz playing. The only real problem with that has been the E string. It seems to have some weird overtones that make it hard to get in tune as much as I would like. They seem to be dying out a bit after about 6 months.

I bought a set of the Animas today, so I'll see how they compare soon. I really love the thickness of the Eurosonics and the fact that they have some growl to the sustain. I am looking forward to trying the Animas though. I don't know if they will work with my magnetic pickup. I have a Fishman Full Circle that I use also so I might have to stick with that. I hope they have some growl and sustain and also have a bouncy feel to them.

4. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    The animas won't work with a mag pu.
    You need a steel core, or at least some steel in the core.
    That's why the eurosonics work.
    Kevinlee

5. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    Hey, let us know what you think about the Animas!
    thank you.

6. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I used the Animas many years ago before I went to gut. I also tried the Eurosonic Lights (not Ultra Lights) about a year ago. The Animas have a Silk core (they are definitely NOT gut) with Copper and Aluminum or some combination of the two depending on the string. I may be wrong on the windings but I think that's correct. The Eurosonics are to me, the most bizarre string on the market. I guess they make sense if you're just doing pizz only and especially if you're slapping, but otherwise I think it's hard to compare them to any "regular" string. I think if you're doing any arco at all that you should get something with a "regular" surface whether it's unwound gut or metal wound strings.

7. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    BTW, I think the main difference between the Animas and the Garbos is that the latter are a bigger gauge and they have a Polyamide sleeve on the G string (similar to the Eurosonics) which makes it very hard to bow.

8. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    I've also used the Garbos and Animas in the past, and as I remember the Animas were not quite as smooth on the windings, a little more round wound. And as Adrian said the Garbos are slightly bigger in diameter. They were both good sounding sets of strings and both low tension.
    They seem to sound and feel like sort of a compromise of a gut type string and a steel string.

Kevinlee

9. JAS

JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    California
    I thought that I heard somewhere that the Animas have been updated or changed in the last year or two and now have a smoother surface. I should get them in the next few days, so I will see for myself.

10. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Fender, Source Audio & Fishman
    For kicks I installed my 2 yr old set of Animas on my bass yesterday. They only got about 4 months of playing time the first time around. I was trying all kinds of strings back then, so I have a couple of slightly worn sets of different strings. I forgot how much I like the Animas. Low tension and they sound great! They feel a little rough at first, but they sound smooth and I don't have a problem bowing them. They have a right amount of sustain for me (not much less than my Correlis) and I love the way they sound amplified. They are very close in sound to gut string, but the G string sounds the most like gut of the four. I think I'll keep these on for a while. The last set of strings on my bass were Corellis. I had those because I though I needed steel strings to use with a magnetic pickup for a tour I was doing. It turns out the pickup was total overkill and my full circle did a great job on it's own. Now I have the freedom to go back to lower tension strings like Velvets or guts. My bass seems to like low tension strings. I really wanted to put my Velvet 180s back on, but dreaded dealing with the knots you have to tie on the 180s. The Animas have loops on the tailpeice end. I guess since they don't stretch as much as the 180s.

11. JAS

JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    California
    masmabasso,
    How thick are these strings? They must be a pretty big change from the corellis. I used the corellis about 4 years ago and I rember liking the sound but they were too thin for me. How do these compare in sound and feel?

12. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I am currently really digging the Superflexibles. I have Obligatos on one on my basses and the Superflexibles on the other. The supers bow better than the Obligatos I think.

13. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Fender, Source Audio & Fishman
    I had the 370TX Forte on and the Animas are thicker. I don't have a caliper to measure, but the Anima G is almost the same size as its D, so the Animas are quite a bit larger than the Corelli on the top two strings. The A and E are closer, but still slightly thicker on the Animas. The main difference is lower tension, but not too floppy. I didn't need to raise my bridge more than a half turn. The Animas have a similar clarity as the Corellis, but not as bright. They sound better amplified. Sustain is a little less than the Corellis. I went from the Animas to the 180s to the Corellis. I switched to the 180s because the Animas were feeling a little awkward in tension and I felt I was having trouble getting around in thumb position with them. It turns out I was just beginning to feel the effects of a left hand injury and I blamed it on the strings. The 180s are easier with the bow than both the Animas and Corellis. I had Arco problems in the higher register with the Corellis compared to both the Velvet strings.

I think the Animas are my favorite string for piezo pickups. Of course my oppinions change with the wind usually (FWIW). It’s a really nice natural sound. A hybrid sound between gut and steel. Softness and openness of gut, but closer to steel in sustain. Not quite the thump of gut.

I haven't tried the lighter gage Eurosonics, but I didn't like the heavy ones I had. They were too twangy considering the massive size and the whacky coating.

14. JAS

JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    California
    I got the Animas this morning and I have had them on for about an hour. They are very nice. They are still stretching quite a bit because they keep going out of tune.

The G string is pretty close in size to the Eurosonic G which is very nice, and it has a gut sound with a little more sustain. The D is pretty good too. The A and E took a minute to get used to because they are very low tension. Even more than the Eurosonic E and A. They sound great though. It is nice to have an E string that actually has tone. The Eurosonic E was always kind of weird. I like them a lot.

The Animas have a very clear sound with a nice sustain. The E and A have a lot of really nice growl and the G and D feel and sound like gut, but have more sustain. The G and D remind me of Eudoxas a bit.

The Arco sound is great. I actually feel like a real bass player again. After using the Eurosonics for about 6 months, I forgot that I can actually play with the bow. The Animas have a great arco sound. These are fun strings. My bass sounds really good. I am excited about these.

They do have the loops at the end instead of the balls. That wasn't that big of a deal though. They were pretty easy to install.

All four strings are wraped in some kind of copper material. They feel fine under my fingers. I am curious what they will sound like in few days when they settle down and stop stretching.

15. JAS

JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    California
    O.K. it has been a couple of days now and I have some new comments. They are still going out of tune a bit every time I play. They are very low tension on the E and A string. My wrist is a little sore because I am over playing the strings. They don't feel that great to play with a light touch. They feel better at slow-med tempos with a more round/med. pizz touch. They sound very good with the bow.

I am feeling quite frustrated now because I have been through a lot strings in the last few years and I feel like I am getting closer and closer to what I really want, but I am not there yet. The Eurosonics that I had on last felt a little more comfortable only because they were thicker and a nice low tension. The Animas are relatively thick I guess, but thinner than the Eurosonics.

Do the Animas get more flexible with time? how much time? I really don't want the E and A more flexible, but the G and D could be. If these don't settle down really soon I am going to have to take them off for now becuase I cant afford to be going out of tune this often. The G string also is sounding kind of stuffy.

I know I am being hyper picky, but why shouldn't I be. These are expensive strings and I am getting tired of having to comprimise this or that.

Any comments, suggestions, help? About the only things that I think I haven't tried are plain gut strings and tunining in fifths.

16. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    If you don't want to deal with tuning issues, don't waste your money trying gut strings.

17. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    Jas,
    so you don't like any strings huh????

well, here are some thoughts:

a) ???????!!!!!??!!!???!!!??!!!!???!!!!

b) if you only have a couple of sets to try, you are really close brother. Don't give up now, you are way ahead than most of us. I'd say you are getting closer to some sort of revelation, I hope.

c) maybe you should become a string manufacturer and come up with the perfect string. I know the rest of us will be very grateful to you.

d) so, do you really like playing the bass? have you tried instruments without any strings?

I am just thinking; I wish I have 4 or 5 basses, because I like a lot of strings, and I wish I had each bass set up with a different kind of strings, because it would be cool to have instruments with all kinds of different vibe to it. Anyway, that's just me. Or maybe that's what you are looking for, a string that will emulate all the others strings that you like. Well, before you spend that last $400 or so, I got news for you. There isn't that king of string! So do somehting fun with those $400.

BTW, there are some Mathias Thoma strings on ebay, and I heard they rock. Lots of big names using them now, and they only cost between about $36 to $50 for the whole set!!! I myself may give it a try very soon! :D

18. Brennan

Brennan

Sep 29, 2004
    San Francisco
    The intonation thing goes away after about a week . I just kept tuning up every couple of minutes while playing, a practice well known to gut guys, and hitting it a few times a day. It sounds like a bigger pain than it is. I really liked these for a while. The guys at Velvet gave me a set when I was gigging in Switzerland then I purchased a set (ouch!). I have to put a new set on , I've put it off too long but, I think I'm going to try the obligato's. I kind of miss a little brightness. Geoff

19. JAS

JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    California
    The Animas are getting a bit more stable. I am still getting used to them. The super low tension on the E and A is taking time to loosen up to. There a few things that I miss from the Eurosonics I used to have on...

-The magnetic pickup I used to use a lot was not the greatest sound, but always as loud as I needed to be and as clear as I needed to be.

-I miss the little extra thickness of the Eurosinic G string.

-The Anima E and A have a lot of sustain, but I miss the longer sustain of the Eurosonic G string.

I will probably stay with these Animas for a while, but here are a few questions and comments for whoever might have some insight...

-Are there any other strings on the market with a similar feel and thickness to the Eurosonics (but maybe with an E that is a bit thinner)?

-With the magnetic pickup, the Eurosonics do sound pretty clear, but they also sound kind of weird. With my Full Circle pickup they sound too boomy. I would like a slightly more natural sound.

-I am willing to comprimise with some things. I think my main concern is the feel, then the sound. I feel like I can get a pretty good sound with any strings, so I am mainly concerned with the "feel" (thickness, tension) of a set of strings.

People with Anima experience...When can I expect these strings to stableize with their tuning and tension?

20. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I don't know how you will find exactly what you are looking for...everything is a trade off. I still think the Picato Innovations are one of the nicer, more "gut like" strings around. The tension is somewhat high, but they feel great to me.