Eurosonics vs. growl

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Big Bass Daddy, Aug 5, 2004.

1. I was able to check out a Swingmaster w/ what I believe were Eurosonics (looked just like them, kinda milky clear nylony, huge E string) at my local bass place (Hamilton-Ashley, Seattle). After all the chatter I wanted to try them arco.

I had no problem starting them and they bowed o.k.

However, playing pizz and doing a little slide, I could not get a growl out of them.

I doubt if they were the lights (as the E string was almost as wide as my pinkie).

Anyone know if the lights might be made to growl? Or any suggestions of a nylon string that can be bowed and still have a nice pizz growl?
  2. PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    True, they aren't the growliest strings. I do OK with the G, D and A, get a decent growl, but I replaced the E string with an Obligato I had lying around--it was just unworkable on my bass

I'm probably going to order a new set and ask if I can sub an ultra light E for the standard E
  3. So do you think the ultra-lights might have the growl?
  4. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    JR Music, the distributor of Eurosonic strings, recently added a demonstration video showcasing their Ultra Lights in action. The video was put up primarily as a demo for interested slappers, so it is slap-heavy, but there's a straight pizz segment in the middle -- maybe the video will give you a better idea of how the lighter-gauge Euros operate. Scroll to the bottom of to view.

There's a few odd rattles in the pizz segment, but I'm fairly certain it's Jack's endpin ;)