Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eurosonics vs. growl

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Big Bass Daddy, Aug 5, 2004.

1. I was able to check out a Swingmaster w/ what I believe were Eurosonics (looked just like them, kinda milky clear nylony, huge E string) at my local bass place (Hamilton-Ashley, Seattle). After all the chatter I wanted to try them arco.

I had no problem starting them and they bowed o.k.

However, playing pizz and doing a little slide, I could not get a growl out of them.

I doubt if they were the lights (as the E string was almost as wide as my pinkie).

Anyone know if the lights might be made to growl? Or any suggestions of a nylon string that can be bowed and still have a nice pizz growl?

2. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    True, they aren't the growliest strings. I do OK with the G, D and A, get a decent growl, but I replaced the E string with an Obligato I had lying around--it was just unworkable on my bass

I'm probably going to order a new set and ask if I can sub an ultra light E for the standard E

3. So do you think the ultra-lights might have the growl?

4. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    JR Music, the distributor of Eurosonic strings, recently added a demonstration video showcasing their Ultra Lights in action. The video was put up primarily as a demo for interested slappers, so it is slap-heavy, but there's a straight pizz segment in the middle -- maybe the video will give you a better idea of how the lighter-gauge Euros operate. Scroll to the bottom of http://www.jrmusicsupply.com/strings.html to view.

There's a few odd rattles in the pizz segment, but I'm fairly certain it's Jack's endpin ;)