Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eurosonics

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by JAS, Apr 28, 2004.

1. JAS

JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    California
    Has any one tried the new "Ultra Lights" yet? Can people comment on their experiences with the Eurosonic strings. What professionals are using these strings?

2. SleeperMan2000

SleeperMan2000

Jul 31, 2002
    Cary NC
    Check out this on rockabillybass.com. Good review, just be careful you don't come back riding a painted bass with tats and slapping your doghouse like it owes you money, you hear?

http://www.rockabillybass.com/discus/messages/2659/2999.html?1082671092

3. JAS

JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    California
    Are jazz bass players using these? What has been everyone's experience as far as arco playing?

4. I've been using the Eurosonics and i think they play and feel just fine. I did a gig last night in a little Italian Bistro in my local town with a alto sax player and some backing CD's. Although not hearing much projection myself, the owner and one or two others said they could hear me just fine. My bass is not a top notch bass by any means, i play a Boosey and Hawkes 'Paesold' model but the strings do make a difference, the previous strings i had sounded awful in comparison to the Eurosonics. I use the light gage which feel very nice for pizzicato which is what i play 99% of the time, mixed results with arco. I have heard others in the forum say the standard gage is to thick, apparently the new ultra lights comes even closer to gut feel but i have not any experience with them yet.

5. JAS

JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    California
    How do you get in touch with Eurosonic?

How much thicker are the Ultra Lights than the Obligatos?

6. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
  7. JAS

JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    California
    So, I got my set of the ultra- light tension Eurosonics the other day. I put them on right a way and the string thickness combined with the tension is very nice. I really like how they feel. They sound pretty good, very warm. I played two gigs with them on the bass yesterday and I am having a few problems. At very fast tempos, they are very hard to play because they have A LOT of give. They are almost impossible right now to get a good arco sound. When you get it right on, they sound really good- very gut-like with the bow, but they are much harder to bow than the Obligatos. I am going to have to take them off my bass for now because i am doing a lot of arco playing, but I probably will put them back on sometime this summer and try and work with them.

8. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    With some very fine sandpaper rough up the area of the string that makes contact with your bow hair...this should help.

Remember, the strings were designed to be a primarily pizzicato string...some players enjoy them with a bow, but they also state that they did the above "rough up" and impeccable technique is needed.

Also, as with ANY string...give them a week or so to stretch out and settle down.

Hope you enjoy them!

9. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002

"impeccable technique ?" in regards to arco ?

I'd like to try a set, but i'll probably buy a used set to see if they are compatible with me.

10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I think my arco technique is a little too peccable for this application.

Steve Bassman likes this.
  11. JAS

JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    California
    I will try the sandpaper thing. Does anyone have any advice for walking at very fast tempos with this type of string?

12. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    I've been using them (standardset, I guess they are officially "mediums") for well over a year, playing mstly jazz: they were absolutely pefect for my old plywood englehart. They have a very warm, fat sound, not nearly as bright as many strings but I love the tone--the lower tensin and fatter string guage really makes them easy on the hands and seemed to open this particular bass up. I have trouble bowing the "A" string but not the others. I did not like the "E" string, though--I have a obligato "E" on there. I'm thinking maybe it's time for a new set, and I'd like to maybe mix a set--medium GD and A and a light or ultrlight E

I really like the tone of these strings--loud and big, but stil with good growl. less sustain than the obligatos, and still less than the helicore hybrids I had on there before. But I've got no desire to change brands. I would like to find someone who can sell me a mixed set though

13. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Well, I got mine today. WIll throw 'em on tonight and see what happens. I had no idea they were wrapped in clear vinyl; for some reason i thought they would be black.

I bought 'em from someone here tho i do not kno his handle...

14. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    That would be me that you got the eurosonics from.
    Hope you like them. Some do some don't.
    I happen to like them alot for what I'm doing at the moment.
    Bluegrass, Rockabilly, Country Swing etc.
    They're a good for this stuff.

Although I'm using the ultra lights now they are very simaler to the lights that you have.

Kevinlee

15. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    thanks ! very nice pizz strings. I cannot see using them all of the time but for strictly thumpin' they are quite nice.

16. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    Great, I'm glad your happy with them.

Kevinlee

17. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    We posted a quick video on our site...nothing fancy...so dont start yelling at me! We re-shot it today trying to get a bit better with the audio and also to show off a few other styles of playing, not just RAB. Hopefully I will have that edited and posted by tomorrow...so the video that is there now will go bye bye.

http://www.jrmusicsupply.com/strings.html

Scroll to the bottom of the page...you can "right click" and download on the text or watch it stream in the embeded Media Player. I'm not very good at web editing...so it may not work with stuff other than MS IE.

Sorry! Just a few bass players having fun over here!