EV 15" speakers (again)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Mar 3, 2005.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I have the oportunity to buy either a EVM 15L or a EVM 15B.
    Both are newly reconed with factory kits by pros which make them 400W RMS instead of 200W.
    I can only afford to buy one and I will build a suitable cab for it. It will (hopefully) be used as a stand alone cab for a 4-string bass in a rock/pop band (think: the Band, Bruce Springsteen). We don´t play really loud. Which one should I get?

BTW Im playing with the idea of adding a 6" speaker for some more mids and highs if needed.
  2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Get the 15B. The 15L has a lower Qts, which makes it suitable for guitar in a very small box, but in so doing gives up half an octave of bottom end response.
  3. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

I have succefully used both and a sound system that we had for a while had 2- L's on each side for lows and worked great, souned good etc. A sharp rolloff odf course and some that depends upon the cabinet tuning.
    If I was heavily into some more modern sound I would seriousely consider the L's.
    All that aside, I prefer the B's for bass and would as EV for the cabinet plans. I love those speakers and they have been great to me.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.
  4. I have both in my spread sheet. The 15B uses a bit larger cabinet, but is more suitable for electric bass, as it extends down lower before rolloff.

Everything you need to size the correct cabinet for the 15B is in my spread sheet.