Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EV 15" SRO White Magnet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by God's Element, Oct 3, 2005.

1. God's Element

God's Element

Sep 27, 2005
    hello,

I have an EV SRO 15" speaker with the large white magnet cover. The white cover is vibrating at G# and f#. Does anyone know how to tighten the white cover? There are three bolts under the cone but i am not sure what they do. Please help. This speaker is insane. :) :bassist:

thanks

joseph

2. Wow, that's a classic, and I just happen to have one myself, although not being used. On mine, the magnet cover is held on by a single large phillips head screw, right in the middle of the cover. It was originally covered up by a decal, which yours might still have. If tightening it doesn't help, you could just remove the cover; not really essential.

3. God's Element

God's Element

Sep 27, 2005
    wow...!!! Removing the WHITE cover makes no difference to the sound? This is the not the black finned SRO.

4. It shouldn't make any sonic difference. I used to have EV's spec sheet for this driver, and they pointed out that if your cabinet dimensions couldn't accomodate it with the cover on, to just take it off. This is kind of an old-style construction thing for them (pre '80s for sure). Mainly cosmetic, and their later speakers (EVM and newer) don't have it (nor do anybody else's). I'm not sure if there was an SRO that had black fins, but I'm no expert. I just live in the town where they were originally located in their heyday (before Telex bought them out, moved to where, MN? and they practically dropped off the face of the planet). Honestly, where the hell can a person buy EV (Electro-Voice) gear, and what are they offering these days?

5. God's Element

God's Element

Sep 27, 2005
    whacher I sent you a private message

6. jz0h4d

jz0h4d

Apr 26, 2005
    The white cover is just for looks!

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    I found mine made for a nice ashtray.

8. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    [​IMG]

Live and learn. :D

9. ric426

ric426 Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I used to make my living a *long* time ago reconing speakers at a shop that was also an EV warranty station. Also JBL and Altec Lansing, but that's another story.
    I remember that the white backed SRO's had the most outragiously tight suspension of any musical instrument speaker we'd ever seen. They sounded pretty good, but the tight suspension would eventually cause them to tear themselves apart, especially if they were being hit with a lot of high transients, like you'd get from bass guitars.
    Does anyone remember the 30" woofer that EV made? It had a huge cast frame, an SRO magnet structure and voice coil and a 1/2" thick styrofoam cone. The rated response was something like 30Hz-200Hz. In the instructions they cautioned that if it was mounted in the normal vertical position, you should rotate the speaker 90 degrees every couple of months to prevent the suspension from sagging too much from the weight of the cone.
    I heard a bass player use one once with a Gibson EB-0. It sounded like he was playing with a mattress strapped to the front of his speakers...

10. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Ric 426-I played through one of those 30 inch EV woofers once when i was on tour in the 60s. Some converted movie theater in some midwest city-can't remember exactly where-it's all a blur.

Anyhow, I found it sitting backstage during a soundcheck. It was mounted in a very large reflex cabinet. I hooked my amp head up to it just for fun. Really muddy sound. No mids or highs and it distorted very easily. Just not suitable for electric bass. I imagine it had been used as part of the playback system during this theater's days showing movies.

I'd seen this speaker advertised in EV catalogues before and was curious as to how it would sound. This test cured me.

But the 15s were very nice sounding speakers.

I just noticed you mentioned it had a white styrefoam cone. That must have been a later model. The one I tried had a paper cone.

11. God's Element

God's Element

Sep 27, 2005
    I have some bad news... :crying: While i was tighting the one bolt in the middle of the cover, the magnet seperated and cracked from the frame. :crying: :crying: Be careful not to over tighten as i did. The bolt does not get tight to signify when to stop. This speaker was in my Leslie 122 which is driven by my Hammond B-3. Can someone suggest a replacement. I think the Delta Pro 15 is the best bet. :bawl: :bawl:

12. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    The 'SRO' with the heat sink was actually a first generation EVM. You can tell by the three bolts that go through the magnet, and the vented pole piece. The original SRO didn't have the through bolts, one of the reasons it was replaced by the EVM. Later on the heatsink was replaced by a simpler cover, though most OEM models didn't have covers and eventually they were eliminated on the retail versions as well.

13. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    If you would like to purchase another SRO I have one with like 20 hrs. on the re cone. I'll throw in another that needs to be re coned if you like. What do you think is a fair price?? It is a vintage speaker :).. Let me know.

14. Bill,

What you said. I thought that pic looked like an EVM. Also, the "15L" model number on the decal gave it away as well.

G's E, I don't think you need a super whoppin' high end woofer in your Leslie. The amps in those aren't all that powerful (<150 tube watts?). I'd save my money and get a good stamped frame driver.

Back in the day, I heard a tale about a guy who had one of those 30 inchers, and installed it in the side of a '60s VW microbus! He was a hippie, and thought he'd make a great portable infinite baffle out of it. Never heard it, though.

15. ric426

ric426 Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I don't remember what the original had, but the recone kit for the one we rebuilt came with the styrofoam cone. I remember because the old guy who ran the reconing department melted the first one with a heat lamp, trying to cure the glue faster and we had to order another kit.

I also remember recentering and regluing a few SRO magnet structures and back plate/pole piece assemblies that had seperated. *That* was a dog of a job. Those magnets were STRONG and it was easy to get a finger pinched badly under the back plate if you weren't careful when reassembling them.
    Ah, the good old days...

16. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Okay, whatever. I'm sure you understand what you just said. Me, I'm calling it an SRO until the decal falls off and I get altzheimers. :D

How old is my SRO then? I've had it for about ten years now; I just bought a matching 12 off ebay a couple of months back.

17. SROs went away when the EVM series entered. That was something like the mid-'80s (possibly early '80s), because I remember how many companies at the time were offering EVM 15Ls & 15Bs (like Mesa, for instance) either standard or optionally. Some companies offered EV as an upgrade, others JBL, Altec, or Gauss. Mesa was also providing an EVM 12L standard in one level of the Mark Series guitar combo (II, III, or IV?) when they came out around then.

18. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Musicman had them as an option till '82, but I always thought it was an option back in the '70's for them, too. My 12 has a serial # stamped on it; is there a place I can go to date it based on that?

19. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    The SRO and the EVM were very different speakers. The SROs had all sorts of problems that the EVMs addressed and cured. The only thing the above pictured 'SRO' has in common with the original 1960's SROs is the name on the sticker; even the frame is different. Chances are that sticker was put on there during the model switchover to fulfill existing orders for SROs that remained to be filled after the last of the inventory had been purged. Or it could have been done at the request of an OEM user who didn't want to change all his catalogs that said his amp was loaded with SROs.

I can't say exactly when the SROs went away and the EVMs took over, but I am sure that I bought an SRO 15 in 1971 and an EVM12L in 1977.

20. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Back in about 1975, I was looking to buy my first good bass speaker. My bass teacher at the time was using SROs in a TB style cabinet (the father of the EV TL-606). I tried to buy an SRO, but only EVMs were available...so the name change happened before '75. At the time, the SRO name had been sold to Kustom and EV was building Kustom SRO branded EVMs for them.

I ended up buying the TB cabinet with two old style SROs...one had a magnet cover, one didn't. The original style SRO 15 was designed to be rear mounted in the cabinet, the mounting flange didn't allow for front loading like an EVM. I believe that they were rated to handle 60 watts.