Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EV 15B tuning TL505 Cabinet - HOW ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by skin, Jul 25, 2003.

1. skin

skin

Jun 22, 2003
    Baton Rouge, LA USA
    About 3 years ago I acquired 2 EV 15B speakers, got the plans from EV for the TL505 cabinet, and built them. Now I am using them for bass, and they really don't sound like they should with a Carvin R600. I feel that they fart and can't put out the low bass and volume I would expect them to do.

Dimensions are 23 3/4" H x 19 1/4" W x 17" D... similar to the one at: http://www.intp.us/mebombard/tl505_15.htm

Sooooo... the questions are:

1. Can I change the open slot port to something better with the existing speaker?

2. Using WinISD's tone generator, how can I experiment with the port?

3. Should I change the speaker AND the port?

Opinions are welcome and appreciated!

Thanx!!!

2. skin

skin

Jun 22, 2003
    Baton Rouge, LA USA
    The TL505 cabinet internal dimensions is roughly 17 x 22 x 14 - about 3 cubic feet with 2 front ports of 3 x 4 1/2 inches.

3. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I used to have some EVM 15L speakers for which I had some TL-606 cabinets built, which are very similar to that TL-505 in the picture.
    Do you see that little rectangular cover in between the two ports on the bottom? On my TL-606 plans, that cover in the middle was optional for a different tuning...I think they recommended putting it on to tame the bass response a little and tighten up the sound, if I remember correctly. I opted to leave that middle cover off on mine for the fullest sound.
    If yours is similar, and that cover can be removed, I think removing it will help to put out a bit more bass and volume. Worth a look.

4. skin

skin

Jun 22, 2003
    Baton Rouge, LA USA
    I'll pull it out and see today and let you know. Maybe I can test it with a tone generator and SPL meter!

Thanx!

5. What is the exact model of your drivers?

I'm aware of the 15BX, EVM-15B Pro Line, and EVM-15B Series II.

6. skin

skin

Jun 22, 2003
    Baton Rouge, LA USA
    I'll have to pull them and see... they are heavy! I'll take a photo and upload it to help out.

7. A photo won't do me any good. Need model numbers only.

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Actually although it SEEMS deeper with the cover off, if you put the cover on and boost the bass EQ a few dB the cab goes a lot lower!! The retuning trades off efficiency for extension.