EV 15BX or 15B or 15L

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, May 8, 2003.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Is the 15BX as good as the 15B?
    My Mesa cab has the 15L and I was thinking of replacing it with the 15BX (Saw one for sale). I think the 15B has thicker paper than the 15L, But what about the 15BX? Is the quality as good? Thanks
  2. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Stick with the 15L.
  3. Rockbobmel

Would you care to elaborate?
  4. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    The Mesa cab was designed specifically for the EV 15L. Also, the 15L is a full range speaker and better suited for electric bass application.
  5. Do you need one? I have one sitting in a box at home.
  6. Rockbobmel

There is one locally for sale. I'm trying to get some imput about the 15BX. Thanks
  7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The 15B and 15L are identical except for the ribbing in the 15L cone that gives it an extra octave of response in the high end.

Both are discontinued according to EV (no longer listed in catalogs), I have no idea if they are still OEMing them to amp makers. You can still get recone parts for the 400 watt version.

I wouldn't bother "upgrading" a 15L to a 15BX. Is there something you find lacking in the 15L?
  8. Lex P.

Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2003
    I was told by a local speaker repair store (Midwest Speaker Repair in St. Paul). That the 15B is more for sound reenforcement like a PA sub, and a 15L is full range to be used for bass.
  9. stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    i can't imagine another speaker working better for the mesa cabinets than a 15L. if your 15L is blown i would get it reconed instead of getting the 15BX or 15B
  10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Actually the 15L was originally intended for guitar players (esp. pedal steel) who needed more high end.
  11. Lex P.

Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2003
    Hi Brian,
    No wonder my 2x15 Mesa Boogie has no tweeter and doesn't need one either.
  12. Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    I'd like to try some 15B's in my RR 2x15. It's *way* too bright for my tastes.
  13. Rockbobmel

Mine is very bright. I would use a 15B if I could. I have a Sonic with a 18B in it and it sounds KILLER. I think the 15L was for "L"ead. What about the BX? Is it a cheaper model? It is a 400 watt "Bass Guitar" speaker.
  14. I emailed Orange County Speaker Repair about this very subject not long ago because I have a pair of 15L's I want to overhaul.

Here's the reply..

If you have them reconed they would be
    reconed with the Pro Series kit and be rated at 400 watts. Also if you are
    just playing bass only through them you could change them to the 15B. The
    15B has a thicker cone and will put out more bass. You should only do this
    if you are planning on using them JUST for bass. No vocals or anything. If
    you need vocals then the 15L is better. The cost is $89 each plus shipping.

If you would like to ship your speakers to us, please make sure you go to
    our web site, print out the packing list, and send it with each speaker. You
    can find shipping instructions on our web site at:

Bryan Sunda
    Orange County Speaker, Inc.
  15. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    If you want "Mudbass", get the 15B. If you want your speaker to reproduce the full spectrum of your instrument like the cab was intended, get the 15L. As earlier stated, the 15B is intended for subwoofer PA applications. When you run a DI to your PA is your bass going through just the subs? NO! Your bass will sound like mud if it did. Mesa Boogie is not the only bass cab manufacturer to use the 15L, GK also used it for years. All the OEM EV's in bass cabs I've ever seen were 15L's. If it's too bright for you the treble control can fix that. However, if it's too muddy try adding treble to a speaker that won't reproduce it, it won't happen!

16. The 15L's can't reproduce the whole bass spectrum anyway, obviously they do a better job of it than the B's will, but even the L's need help on the high end. That's why I bi-amp with a 2x10 cab. I prefer to have 15" speakers that do what 15" speakers are supposed to do...put out tons of solid low HZ and relegate the high HZ to a cab that's better suited for the job.
  17. Rockbobmel

What about the 15BX?
  18. PFloyd2002

Apr 11, 2008
    The EV 15BX (as the original question was about this speaker) is a fantastic speaker (in my opinion). I have a Mesa M-Pulse 600 head (check Mesa's site if you want technical info on the amp) and I've had the following setups:

1 - Two SWR Workingman's 4x10T (aka full stack - It sucked. Severe mudbass with some farting)
    2 - One SWR Workingman's 4x10T plus a SWR WM's 1x15 (Better clarity in low end, still no tone whatsoever)
    3 - One SWR 4x10T - replaced tweeter with Eminence APT:80 tweeter (Farty low end, but excellent tone/crispness)
    4 - One EV 15BX in a custom 4.5 cu ft ported enclosure with APT:80 tweeter (Next to impossible to get low end fart. EXCELLENT clarity over the whole range)

Obviously, I'm using setup #4 now. FYI - my tone is kindof Mudvayne-meets-Claypool and I usually play pretty loud (Two of the 5 members of my band are into metal, so they have a tendancy to crank it up at practice). I would also recommend using (building) a good crossover with an L-Pad with a setup like this. Without it, the tweeter will kill you. And yes, the 15BX does reproduct tone reletively well, but I'm a bit of an audiophile. Nobody on earth will ever convince me that any paper cone woofer can reproduce high end clear enough.

Honestly, I can't ask for anything more that what I have. I may duplicate what I have (for the larger venues), but if you get the engineering documents from the speaker manufacturers, you'll be able to build something great.

P.S. - http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Speakers/EDS/15BX EDS.pdf It's the long throw version of the 15B. I would guess the 15L has more tone, but like I said...I'm picky.
  19. bass_guitar

Oct 22, 2011
    The EV 15 BX is a bad ass speaker. If you are a bass player that needs to bring the low end to the fore-front, the BX was the speaker to get. The 30-4000Hz range is sweet. For comparison I have and used the 15" B 50-5000Hz speaker, and a pair of 60-6000Hz EVs (EV 15L) in my Boogie cabs and by far the BX is my favorite, which is subjective to personal opinion
  20. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    They were wrong on both counts. The B stands for Bass, the L stands for Lead. They're almost identical, but not quite. The L has lower Qes, which gives stronger mids and highs, at the expense of lows. Some manufacturers used the L for bass, but not coincidentally they tended to be manufacturers who specialized in guitar cabs and also used it in guitar cabs. The only logical reason for using the L in a bass cab is inventory reduction.
    The 15BX had slightly more xmax than the 15L/15B, so it in theory had a 'longer throw', but it also had lower Qes than the 15B, so actual low end capability was about the same, with a bit better midrange. The DL15X was better, with the same xmax as the 15BX, the same Qes as the 15B.