Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EV B 215-M Cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Folmeister, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I just ran into a very affordable, older EV cab (B 215-M), but I can't find diddly-squat about it on the net. Anyone know this cab? Thoughts?

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    I'm guessing it's probably loaded with EVM15-Bs, and if so grab it, those were among the best bass drivers ever made. Even if loaded with Force 15s or 1970s vintage SROs they're still very good. Pop the rear of the box off before buying to be sure the original EV drivers are in there.

3. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    They have EVM 15L's, at least mine did.
    They are great cabinets.
    The one I had was 4 ohms and 400W. Mine had the older 15L's that were only rated for 200W each. Later they came up with a 400W 15L, but I don't know whether they put the 400 watters into any of the B215-M's. If you get it and want to throw more power at it, you could have the speakers reconed with the 400W (per speaker) recone kit.
    I also had a couple of B115-M's which were great but the B215-M was more aggressive.

4. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I've got a Sunn 2x15 loaded with EVM 15B's. It's a darn good live cabinet. It doesn't have tons of lows, but it's very defined and extremely loud. You will not have any problem hearing yourself with these speakers. It's not hi-fi at all, if you're looking for immaculate tone these won't quite get it, but if you want a cab that'll get you through ANY gig, it'll do it. I don't mean to say they sound bad in any way - just that they're not really comparable to Eden, Bergantino, Aguilar, etc. as far as tone. Volume-wise - they'll blow practically anything to smithereens. I'm doing the immaculate tone thing these days (Acme), but I keep my old 2x15 cab around just in case.....

Edited to add - there's not a lot of difference between the 15L's and 15B's. As I recall the B's go just a little lower with less high end, the L's have a little more high end with less lows, but it's a very small difference.

5. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Don't forget that the B215-M also has the 6.5" vented midrange (with adjustable attenuater) for the highs, and the cabinet was designed for the speakers, so I imagine that it will sound a bit more 'hi-fi' than the Sunn cab with the 15B's.

6. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

If I remember correctly, from previous posts, The EV15L extends up high enough to be effective for guitar AND has the extended low end that is the same as the EV15B. I have only experience with the 15L, My Sonic 1-18 has an EVM-18B white basket driver and has exceptional high end without a tweeter.

7. andertone

andertone Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Southwest USA
    howdy!

I've owned an EV B215M for almost 30 years now,
    still the best stand alone 15" cab I've ever used.
    It seems to really like old tube amps (I use a MM HD130)
    and can get really crunchy. Weighs a ton, but with
    casters just tip it into your pickup truck, right?

I have the original model with the 200 watt EV 15"
    and the 6" midrange unit. Is almost as efficient as
    a JBL D140F cabinet, but the EV'g go lower.

Not as much pant flapping as my Epi T212 cabinet,
    but there is just something about a pair of slow 15's
    that the modern cabinets can't duplicate

Phil Anderson
    Tucson, AZ

8. Folmeister

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas

Thanks, Phil! And, a hearty thanks-a-bunch to everyone else who has contributed!

9. Folmeister

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Hey, cool. I am picking the cab up Saturday. Does anyone know what a fair market value for this cab would be?

10. Sorry no clue. If the cab has the original "L" series drivers in it EV still makes factory kits that will convert the L's to B's and kick the power rating up to 400 watts per driver. Converting to B's will give you better bottom end I'm told, but there's a trade off on the upper mid. From experience I can tell you that these cabs sound fantastic when operated within their rated power, but they do not like to be pushed. Anything beyond 400 watts and the cones actually start to deform. Changing them to B's would probably help a lot because the cones on the B's are heavier paper, but I never had the upgrade done so I'm only going by what the guy at the recone shop advised me.

11. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

A friend of mine just paid ~$350 for one on eBay a few weeks ago.

12. Folmeister

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Sounds like my DB 728 and Mesa 400+ will do just fine with it.

13. Folmeister

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Well, I picked the cab up this morning. It is in great shape for being 20-25 years old. It is built like a brick s***house. It has the original 15L drivers and the 400 watt capacity. I remember drooling over these back in the 80s! Oh, and it sounds very powerful too.

14. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    now that is a real man's 2x15!
    darn thing just LOOKS as loud as heck.

15. jad

jad

Aug 29, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I bought a used example of this cab back around '87 for about $300. Never looked at the drivers, but I would guess they're L's. To my ears, this cab is a close second to the mighty Mesa RR 215 in the realm of 215 cabs (tho I admit I have not heard the Bergie NV215). As you now know, it has a very tight sound, not mushy at all.

Mudbass, thanks for posting the spec sheet. You have to respect a cab that has a 16 pound magnet on the tweeter! :eek: I'll never sell mine, but because it's a bit of a beast for 1 person to move up and down stairs, it tends to stay in the band's practice space. I intend to refurbish it at some point. Folmeister, I bet it sounds awsome with either your Aggie or 400+ pumping through it!

16. Folmeister

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Old School, Baby!

17. Schaweet! Looks Just like mine.

18. gbazinet

gbazinet

Aug 11, 2010
    Maine
    I searched for threads about these cabs after I saw one for sale in my area. I ended up buying it based on the positive reviews i've read online but am waiting to try it out with my Ampeg V4b. Does anyone else have insight into these cabs?

19. boamedt

boamedt

Jul 2, 2008
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    I almost bought that off cl it was right down the street.....