Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EV cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Regurgitator, Sep 5, 2000.

1. Regurgitator

Regurgitator

Apr 27, 2000
    Does anyone have any opinions on EV cabs? I have a friend selling a EV 410 and wanted some opinions on them from you guys.

2. They were really popular when Stanley Clarke was using them in the 80's, but I haven't seen too many of them around
    lately. They were more of a PA monitor type Cab, but they travel well and they are reliable. They have a great high end, but the lows always seemed a little weak,IMO. But I must say truthfully, I used a 2x15, not the 4x10, so if you
    consider my opinion, consider the source.

3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Lots of places use EV cabs for their PA system. Most of the clubs I've been to that have good sound have EV cabs. I also heard that starting this year EV is going to stop making speakers. They will still sell cabs, but they will be loaded with a different company's speakers.
    Since its your friend who is trying to sell it to you, I am sure your friend will let you try it out to see how it sounds. If you like it, take it. If you don't like it then don't take it.

4. Never tried EV cabs, but EV speakers came with my Mesa Boogie 1516BE cab and it sounds great, lots of strong lows and highs.
    Here in the UK EV speakers have a very good reputation.

5. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    I own a EV B210 bass cab and have been using it for a while now. It is an incredible cab if you can find it (got mine on ebay). Good power handling and it has withstood a good amount of EQ abuse without complaining. The mids on this thind cut through amazingly. Once I couldn't really hear myself at a show because I got squashed next to the cymbals, but I head a bootleg tape of the show and the bass was RIGHT THERE. I was pushing about 120W at the time, over about 200W of guitars.

Construction is very solid and it has a clean look (all black, no fancy chrome or gold). I like mine but check it out with your amp before doing anything.

Let your ears be the judge.

6. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I have a EV B215 I have owned bran new since around 83 and it is one of the best sounding cabs I have ever heard Still has the original EV 3520's 15's and still souds killer even though it rarely leaves the rehearsal room (its heavy and huge), I play out with my Ampeg gear but the EV is alwaysed used for rehearsal. GOOD STUFF!!!!

7. I used to have 2 EV B-115-M's. They were really nice sounding cabs. I got rid of them because of the large size and weight. I wish I could have kept them because they really were great sounding.

8. mr t

mr t

Aug 24, 2000
    manhattan, ks
    i almost got an ev b410 a while back, but it was so stinkin' heavy. i found the ev to have a bit of boost in the midrange, although it sounded really clear and loud. these have to be about the most effecient cabs out there. they do not have a midrange or tweeter as i recall, so the ultra-clear highs are not there, but better than one would expect. i found the b410 to have plenty of bottom end. i ended up going with the acme low b2. it's got a flatter response over a wider range, lighter, but also much more power hungry. i like the ev cabs. do they still make 'em?

9. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    go over to http://www.zzounds.com and do a search on electrovoice. Towards the bottom of the page you'll see the listings for the cabs. Yikes, be ready for sticker shock.

[Edited by ihixulu on 09-06-2000 at 10:43 PM]

10. orange joe

orange joe I am serious and don't call me Shirley Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Albany NY
    Man talk about a zombie thread.Almost 15 years old.i came across it because i recently acquired a B210 that i played at my local store and had to have it.i couldnt believe how clear it was with no tweeter.i now have it paired with a Sh-1512er which is a pa cab but combined it is a great sound

11. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

I used to have a pair of B-210 cabinets, I sold one and a friend of mine has the other one. I also had a custom "B-110" cabinet made for me years ago. These were/are wonderful sounding cabinets.

The reason they were never popular is because EV did virtually ZERO advertising of them so nobody knew these even existed.

orange joe likes this.
  12. waltdogg

waltdogg

May 24, 2014
    I had a Sunn 215B cab loaded with two EV EVM-15B Series II drivers. That was my absolute most favorite 2x15 cab, but I sold it paired with a matching Concert Bass they were a heavy combination that's for sure. Those speakers range from 50-5000 Hz and handled 200 watts each making for a 400 watt cab.

13. Forrrest

Forrrest

Mar 10, 2013
    I glad that didn't turn out to be true.

14. orange joe

orange joe I am serious and don't call me Shirley Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Albany NY
    Man I could sure use another B210