Ev elx 112P as floor mon ? Or QSC K8

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by 4Mal, Jul 26, 2013.

1. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Love my K10 and Ksub setup. Now I need to add another set of wedges.

The K8 has some advantages, concal horn is effectively 90x90 vs 90 x50 for the elx (50 horizontal as the box would be on it's side). The K8 is small. The K8 sounds like my K10 mains. K8's are abut $100 more per box.

The elx will sound bigger, they will pack bigger. On the very rare occaision that I put some kick in the monitors, they will probably require less eq masaging I would expect. Then again i'll probably have to pull some bass out as they have that big, warm low end - not always your friend whan monitoring...

Anyone have experience using the ELX or the K8 or K10 specifically as a floor wedge ? Thoughts ?

2. modulusman

modulusman Inactive

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Does the K8 work asa floor monitor? Not sure if the box design is suitable for laying on the floor.

3. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    I've been using the ELX 112P as my amp for a few months now. It works great and I do roll off the lows with an fdeck HPF at ~70Hz. There is a lot of bass going on without it and the ports will chuff without the high pass at loud volumes. It has a built in switchable 100hz lpf at 24 db/octave. it takes out too much bass if you are using it as your bass amp, but might work well if you are just monitoring with it and sending your signal to FOH.

One of the things I like about it is it is a plywood box so I added 3/4" rubber feet to the side for monitor use. This is a highly recommended mod. The matching cover is nice and has a little pocket that will hold the power plug.

more info here

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/electro-voice-elx112p-my-next-bass-amp-943152/

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Wedged up seems like they would work nicely. Got a couple of ideas there...

Interseting.

5. modulusman

modulusman Inactive

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    I played a gig last Friday with sound provided and the monitors were the EV 112P. I thought they sounded really good comparable to my JBL Prx 512m. Never heard the k8s.

6. "Does the K8 work asa floor monitor? Not sure if the box design is suitable for laying on the floor."

I had an old Eon10 G3 that I replaced with a EON610 (sideways move) and finally found a great price on the K8 on CL. I was worried about wedging it up and searched, but only found a back peg/screw solution. I was looking at the side mount holes and found a penn elcom snap handle that I was able to slightly widen the holes and it worked great. QSChandle.jpg

Attached Files:

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021