EV Evolve 50 - Wow.

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by darwin-bass, Apr 29, 2019.

1. darwin-bass

darwin-bass Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Salem OR
    Small church just replaced our Bose L1 with a pair of EV Evolve 50s. I played bass in that service this weekend. We had e-drums, keys, a-gtr, one voc and bass through the system. No amps. No IEMs. Room volume was up louder than it should be for a sing-along gig.

And boy did it sound good. The EVs had no issues with the bass. Low notes were solid. In fact I asked to be turned down at one point and the BL said 'no' :). The EVs use a singe 10" for a subwoofer where the Bose was using (I think) a pair of 6" subwoofers. The EV has a flat response down to near 40 Hz so plenty of depth.

I played my fretless passive J bass. Neck pickup with no EQ changes. Bridge pickup with +6 dB @ 100 Hz and +6 dB at 800 Hz via ParaEQ. Keeley Bassist Comp served as an impedance buffer so that I could feed directly into the board with no loss of tone.

Phoenician likes this.
  2. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    Bose does not recommend the B1 sub (as you say, 6" drivers) for handling bass instruments. The B2, with two 10", does much better.

Glad you liked the Electrovoice. They have always made good products.

Phoenician likes this.
  3. darwin-bass

Mar 29, 2013
    Salem OR
    Right. We were originally thinking of adding another L1 plus a couple of B1 subs but found the EVs were less money and to our ears actually sounded better.

The EVs are also a bit easier to setup.

And for TB purposes, yes, they handle bass guitar pretty well at reasonable volumes.

Phoenician likes this.
  4. JPaulGeddy

JPaulGeddy

Sep 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    My last band switched from a standard stack on each side to these, and they were/are brilliant. Amazing clarity and zero issue with enough bass.

Phoenician likes this.
  5. I’m considering the Evolve 30M or 50 for practice with a rock band. Roland vDrums and everything else direct into it. No amps. It’s great to learn it worked for a church setting. I’m wondering how it’ll hold up a for reasonably loud rehearsal.

6. darwin-bass

Mar 29, 2013
    Salem OR
    Depends on how loud you want to go. Our church setting is with a small congregation (15 people) and room volume is 85-90 dB. Quiet enough that people can sing along and still hear themselves and others. Most would consider it pretty quiet.

I suspect the system could go louder but I don't know how much.

Phoenician likes this.
  7. kevk

kevk Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Napa Valley
    I used 2x Evolve50’s for two years (5 days/week) for my two student rock bands, both practice and gigs…they were plenty loud! Mixed the bands, using a SoundCraft UI24R…

Recently, sold the entire system and purchased 2x 50M’s—new project doesn’t need all the UI24R channels/will fit within the 50M’s channel capability (although giving up some tone control options…)

My EV Evolve50 system was very reliable, sounded fantastic, and was extremely easy to setup! It was a no-brainer to get the 50M’s…

If you’re moving them at all, for storage or gigs…I highly recommend the padded covers, with built-in wheels. They aren’t inexpensive…but totally worth it! I’m able to continue using my wheeled covers for the 50M’s, as they’re the same size.

Interestingly, the 50’s were a dark grey finish, and the new 50M’s have a black finish…easy to tell them apart.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  8. I’m definitely interested in these…

I wonder if there is a notable sound quality difference between the 30M & 50M.

I wonder if I want the built in mixer.

I wish there was a smaller unit than the 50 like a 30 but my guess is EV decided they don’t need that option in the line.

9. kevk

kevk Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Napa Valley
    I listened to a pair of 30M’s at GC…imo, didn’t have near the bottom end/volume of the 50’s…. That said, even with my 50’s system…the acoustic kick drum could’ve benefited from having an additional (or pair of) dedicated subwoofer(s)….was never completely happy with the kick tone/punch/feel. The bass guitar was fine though!

In a rock band environment, I wouldn’t consider the 30M…think it’s targeted more for smaller acoustic gigs, etc.

10. Thanks for your thoughts. If I don’t need a mixer maybe the 50M is the winner. I could buy one to start and see how I like it.

kevk likes this.