Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EV home speakers?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by chris4001asat, Apr 14, 2003.

1. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    My dad calls me up over the weekend complaining one side of his turntable isn't working. So I go over there and check things out. Needle is in there correctly, everythings hooked up ok. I flip on the tuner and notice that it's one of his MONSTROUS speakers isn't working. I always wondered about these huge things. Big, real wood cabinets, on wheels, but no name on them. I change the wires to see if it's the channel, but it's not. It's the speaker. I wheel the one out..big octagonal shaped thing..it has two knobs on the side....and unscrew the back. Inside is a big 15 inch EV speaker, a EV horn, and a Ev mid/tweeter! With two HUGE crossovers. I pushed on the 15 lightly and heard it rubbing, so I'm pretty sure it's blown. The question is, should I try to replace the speaker? Or just have him buy new ones? I've never heard of EV having home audio before. My dad got them used about 10 years ago and doesn't know anything about them. By the looks, they're definitely fairly old. Anybody know anything about them? Are they worth fixing?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    EV used to make some wonderful sounding home systems but started to get out of the market in the 70s. Of course, that was when the market for high end speakers started moving towards smaller boxes. The high end speakers of the 50s and 60s were mostly refrigerator sized.

If the cab itself isn't branded EV it may be custom built using EV components. EV service support is pretty good, they probably still have recone kits available for that woofer.

3. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Thanks for the info! I'll have to take that into consideration. These are about small chest freezer size.

4. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Recone that thing:D
    That sounds like a killer set up. I have some old EV speakers, a 12 and a 15 and there great. I had the 15 reconed ($120) and the thing just rocks now. Is the basket all cast? There is no real way to get that quallity of stuff with out dishing out some real cion for whats on the market now.

5. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    I'm not sure if it's all cast or not. I know on the back of the speaker, the magnet and I believe the spider are entirely encased in a metal container. Never seen anything like it.

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Bet ya someone out there in re-cone land has though. I'd definitely be trying to get it re-coned.