Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EV/Mesa Speaker Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Razor, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Does anyone know the model #'s for the speakers made by EV, that Mesa used to use? Specifically the EV speakers in the older Powerhouse 1000 cab.

I'm wanting to check because I have an older PH1000 with EV's and before I go through the chore of taking her apart I figured I'd ask and see if anyone knows.

I played a new PH1000 the other day, and although it sounds very, very good...it's nowhere near as good sounding as the "old school" cab's...

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I asked Ben Strange (Former Mesa Employee and total Mesa freak) about EV replacements, and he said it really doesn't matter: they were manufactured to spec for Mesa by EV, and that EV has doesn't (and I don't think ever did) make an analogous speaker that's for sale to the general public, and Mesa doesn't have any spares lying about.

This is what I'm to understand. I might be wrong, and Ben meant something different.

So, essentially, it means you can't soup up a new cab. You can get EV speakers in it, but it'd be guesswork as to whether or not it would sound like old school Mesa; and even then, it'd be close, not dead bang.

Shame. I know. I'm constantly on the lookout for an oldschool Roadready PH1000 myself.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Way way back Mesa used EVMs, stock models, but EV doesn't make them anymore. EVM 12L and EVM15B were the models, in case you come across some used.

4. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Thanks very much guys...that helps me out quite a bit. :bassist: