Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EV or Black Widow 15's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RedGrange, Apr 3, 2001.

1. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    I can't decide between 2 cabs.. a Peavy 2x15 with Black Widows for either 200 or 250.. can't remember... or a 2x15 with EVs (that used to be Gene Simmons) for 330.... both cabs are in really good condition. But the EVs I know will handle 500W without problem... the other is the subject of my other thread.

2. Jman

Jman

Mar 24, 2000
    Waterport,NY
    Go for the EV if there in good shape.You cant buy the 2 speakers that cheap.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Peavey 2x15 was built for those drivers, should sound excellent if the drivers are in good shape.

What kind of cabinet are the EVs in? If it's not an EV cabinet, then it wasn't designed with those drivers in mind.

It could sound awesome, or it could sound really bad.

EV drivers are some of the best there are, and if they sound good in that cab that's what I would get.

BWs are very good(not quite as good as EVs) and they are in the cabinet that was designed for them.

Let your ears decide.

4. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Well, looking at the speakers in isolation the EV is way better than the Black Shadow. But, when you throw in the cabinet it may tilt the issue. An EV in a homemade cabinet won't sound as good as a Peavey Black Shadow in a factory cab.But an EV in a factory cab will sound a lot better than a Black Shadow.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Umm, the Peavey speakers are Black Widows, Electro Voice used to make a series called EVM Black Shadow.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That's right, Jeff. I have a 400w cast frame EV Black Shadow 15 loaded in a Yorkville 115BX cab (barely larger than the speaker ;) and it's pretty amazing, especially when used with a 2-10. Not sure I've heard a better sounding 15 for low end reproduction.

7. The EVs are designed to work as replacement speakers in many different kinds of cabs. But the cab is a limiting factor, I had an old Peavey 1x15 that was built before the advent of low B 5-strings and even with the EV in there, it didn't even want to do a low D righteously.

8. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I have long been a fan of EV drivers and have used them in several different applications,and although I still like and use them,I gotta say that I found a used Bag End S15-D a couple of months ago,and the thing really sounds good;it has a lot of highs for a 15 w/o tweeter and is very efficient.

9. I played a couple of birch 1x15 Bags stacked a while ago and they sounded great, however I didn't get a chance to try them with a 5-string. How do they hold up to that low B?

10. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    It's been a long time since EV made it's Black Shadow. Anybody know when they stopped making them?

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I got mine maybe15 or so years ago from Mesa Boogie (bought the raw speaker). Still looks and sounds like new.

Kind of reminds me of driving a supercar. I chicken out before the speaker does ;)