ev speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RATZAX, Nov 20, 2002.

Oct 23, 2002
    Gales Creek,Or
    I am new to Bass amps.Are EV speakers goo bass speakers? I am looking at a slant Avatar cab with two EV 12l speakers. Are 12l's bass speakers?Would I be better off with a 2x10 cab from Avatar.

I have a 100 watt Musicman 100b head .I need to get a cabinet to start with. Should I start with a 2x10 or a 1x15 .I will play 90% at home at maybe 10% in small clubs(wishful thinking).

All the advice I can get will be very appreciated.
    Oh yah, I have a Fndr P bass,Jazz bass and a few Hagstrom basses. I play mainly blues.

2. benc

Jan 29, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Howdy, Bernie V,

It's been a month since you posted this and you may have already made up your mind, but here are my 2 cents:

Both the 12L's and the slant cab were designed for electric guitar. The drivers are advertised as "classic lead guitar loudspeakers" and have a frequency response of 80hz-5khz. The fundamental frequency on your bass E string is about 42hz. That's nearly an octave lower than the speaker will go. Also, according to the Avatar site, the slant cab is a sealed box. Having no vent in the cab will further decrease the low end response from the drivers. While it's not imperative to have a cabinet that can reproduce your lowest fundamental, you'd probably have better results with one that can go down to at least 50hz.

Having said all that, the cab may work fine for you. It may have a tight, punchy sound that's desirable. At loud volumes, you run the risk of blowing the speakers, though. The cab/driver combination was not designed to handle the low frequencies that the bass can dish out. If you're playing at home at low volumes, though, it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm certainly no expert on speakers or cabinet design, but I think most would agree with the above.

If you haven't already picked up the 212 cab, my advice would be to get a cab designed for bass. If you did get the 212, is it going ok? Are you satisfied with the sound?

BTW, I dig those Musicman heads.
  3. Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    EV's are awesome speakers. Mesa Boogie has used them for years. However Guitar speakers(as stated above) aren't made for bass. They aren't designed to have as much travel as bass speakers. So one day when you hit a low note at high volume the speaker will try to travel beyond it's limits and will blow.

Oct 23, 2002
    Gales Creek,Or
    Thanks Guys...I got a 2x10 bass cab from Dave at Avatar.It sounds great.i will add a 115 soon.For home use the 210 really sounds good but I can see that I would want at least a 115 to fill out the sound if I ever got in a band.
  5. Good choice. The B115 really makes the rig, though. It's much better with both cabs than just the B210.