Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EV speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SoComSurfing, Mar 24, 2003.

1. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I've stumbled across an older Crate 4x10 cabinet that someone has kindly upgraded to EV speakers. The cabinet is pretty well constructed...a good bit better than the newer ones, at least. I only hear good things about EV speakers, so I was wondering if $150-$200 would be a decent price.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'm pretty sure Crate bass stuff had the option of EV upgrades in the early 90's. I'm not sure on the value... but it sounds fair to me.

3. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I'm now sold on the EVs. I had some 10s worked on and saw the insides of them. They are precision made and do what they claim to do. They are heavy duty but have a great defined tone. Is the Crate cab sealed or ported? Plywood or chipboard?

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    The cab's sealed and appx 5/8" plywood. I didn't know Crate offered bass cabs with EVs...I thought that was just the guitar cabs...good to know. Anyways, I just offered the guy $150...if he takes it, cool...a cab to leave at my friend's house for the occasional jam...if not...no big deal.

5. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Excellent... The pro EVs are $75. to recone and are worth it. So I believe you are in for a big ice surprise. I just sealed off a cab with them in it and it sounds close to an SVT! (See my "It's ALIVE!" post). Try it with a tube head. Please let us know the results.