Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EV SRO 15B cabinet volume

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by giantjerk, Aug 11, 2005.

1. giantjerk

giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    Does anyone know off hand or can they calculate the optimal cabinet volume, and port dimension(s) (if any) for a 15 inch Electro Voice SRO 15B speaker?

Yes I know I can search for this info but I've got about a million other things I should do first.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I presume that you're refering to a cast frame EV that looks like an EVM but says SRO on the back? If so, EV came out with a dandy cabinet design for the EVM15B (same speaker back in the '70s as EV sold the SRO name to Kustom and then started calling their own speakers EVMs) called the TL606. It's 3.2 Cu. ft. tuned to something like 45 Hz.

IIRC, EV provides the plans for free. If you can't get one from them, please PM me...

I also have plans for the original TB series boxes, designed in 1969 for the original SROs (the rear mount only ones with the large white cover on the magnet).

The two most incredible cabinets that I've heard for EVs are one that ProCo (of cable fame) built before their cable business took off and one built by my former bass teacher that featured a horn loaded port something like an old Sunn 2x15. It was big and heavy and nicknamed "The Coffin" It was covered in silver vinyl, with black grilles and had a single XLR jack on the back. The last time I saw it was 1976ish...I made a drawing of it back then but have since lost it... :(

3. Joey J

Joey J

Jul 12, 2005
    Sure thing. Want us to build it for you too? Download the WinISD Alpha version at linearteam. This is a pro-oriented box program that has most prosound drivers in its data base.

4. giantjerk

giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    Billy: You have nailed it regarding the description of the speaker. I posted awhile back about an Acoustic 406 cabinet that I bought only to find it loaded with these drivers. The 406 weights about as much as I do and is a pain to haul around. I can manage a single 15 cabinet.

Can you PM me the info you reference.

Thanks,

Steve

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    How yummy...a 406 loaded with EVs :hyper: :hyper:

If it sounds good, you could always build halves of the 406. Remember that a 1x15 version would be half as tall plus the thickness of the cabinet material (to keep the port size correct).

I'll get the TL606 into to you shortly...