1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EV TL series plans

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rok51, Mar 20, 2009.

1. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I would seriously encourage anyone who is interested in building speaker cabinets to download this entire series of builder's plans that were offered by Electro-Voice. They are classic designs and I haven't seen the collection in one place for quite some time. With corporations coming and going, please download ALL of these plans if you are in the slightest bit interested in building some proven cabinets.

http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Builders%20Plans/

Kim

2. Yep good idea, I've already done this. bt great idea to alert ppl. STILL many bass cab makers are using the same plans if I'm not mistaken- the Orange 1x15" is same for one.
    I still use my home made one- that I got an EV driver for - about 20 yrs ago- STILL sounds great..... BUT I must admit IF the $$$ U can get for these wasn't so S***!!! I probly woulda sold mine as I use my 1x12" more & my Berg NV cabs for bigger situ's.
    GREAT cabs tho. DID me for 10+yrs as my ONLY cab-& sounded great IMO- when EVERYONE else was going for a -IMO - tinny sound- all trebley for lotsa slap- & not much bottoms- with their Hartke cabs & amps(I actually LIKE these NOW- thatI've actually EQ'd em proply -they can sound good!) BUT then -late 80's early 90's - Ppl LAUGHED at me for using my old '70's all tube amp with my "DINOSAUR" EVTL 1x15!!!! :) I thought I had a great sound- I did - i still think.... & if ppl coming to my gigs were ANY indication - so did many punters!!

3. Eight_Stringer

Eight_Stringer

Feb 22, 2009
    Australia
    Self built tube amp about 150W into genuine EV TL15, also in Australia. Hey modern times are for modern people, i'll live in the past no problem.

Rok51, many thanks for the link, would not have found it all by myself in the dark.

Regards.

4. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Buit one in the mid 80's out of oak plywood and still use it.
    BTW, maybe not correct but a 400 watt, 4 ohm Carvin speaker sounds pretty good in this cab IMO.

5. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    Thanks!

6. basslinejam

basslinejam

Mar 21, 2005
    New York City
    Great find there.

I think the Eminence Kappalite 3015 (non-LF) kills as an EV 15L substitute. All hail the TL606! Use mine with an '84 400RB.

Anyone going to build the mammoth TL303? I think it just might be bigger than my apartment! Oh, and good luck finding a vintage 30 watt EV 30 inch :)eek:) speaker to put in it...

7. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I use one ..loaded with a EV15B ...has the sound that I like ... if I'm not mistaken ...Mesa Boogie still uses this design in there 2x15 cabinet

8. JeffreyET

JeffreyET

Dec 27, 2017
    DBA JET Guitars
    Sorry to resurrect a 9 year old thread - but all but 3 of these have been taken off the internet. Does anyone have a TL plan for 1-10" and/or 2-10" (if they were ever published)?

9. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Quite a few here: Docs/PDFs | RealOldiesRadio.com

They also have the general building instructions. IDK which plan is which.

Google search ev tl plans. If you don't see the plans you need there, check the google images.

10. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I've never seen an E-V TL cab plan for anything with 10s in it. I would be happy to be proven wrong though.

Jim C and BadExample like this.
  11. JeffreyET

JeffreyET

Dec 27, 2017
    DBA JET Guitars
    I haven't either. I wanted to make sure I know all the possibilities for the smallest, loudest cab a hobbyist can build. Right now it looks like a variation on the 608, with port tubes instead of the massive ductwork in the bottom.

12. Rick James

Rick James

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    It's not going to be a 40 year old design spec'd for drivers long out of production.
    The fEarful cabs are very popular, mainly because the plans are free. The designs are better than most commercial cabs, but they require high end drivers, so the money you saved on the plans you’ll spend and more on expensive components.
    fEARful™ enclosures for bass/drums/keys
    BFM cab plans that cost $15 don’t get as much love, because they're not free, but the designs are more sophisticated than fEarful, the plans are much more complete, and you can choose from a large number of drivers, so you might save a hundred dollars or more compared to an equivalent fEarful. BFM also has a lot more plans to choose from.
    http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/

One thing about both fEarful and BFM is that the cabs tend to be larger than factory made for the same driver complement. That's because of something called Hoffman's Iron Law. Look it up. They toe the line where the trade offs between size, low end and output are concerned. Cabs that are barely big enough for the drivers to fit inside pay the price in response and efficiency.

13. wagdog

wagdog

Mar 20, 2000
    Der Waffle Haus
    Not the smallest or lightest but a BFM Jack 10 is by no means big or heavy. It is very efficient and loud with my ~100 watt PJB D-200. In my build I used all the cheapest components and it still sounds great. One caveat - it takes a little eq to get there (more bass, less mids). Total expenditure, maybe $150. Many years later and I'm still a happy camper.

14. JeffreyET

JeffreyET

Dec 27, 2017
    DBA JET Guitars
    Hey thanks for the links & comments!