Evacuating New Orleans/Flying with basses

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by WillBuckingham, Aug 30, 2005.

1. WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Just got to my parents' house tonite. I evacuated New Orleans on Saturday nite when the mayor declared the mandatory evacuation. I left my upright, because the ac is broken in my car and I thought it would be in better shape if I left it there. I'm sure its now underwater.

I brought my pedulla with me. Drove to Texas, stayed in a hotel for a couple nites and just flew up to New York from Houston. Continental wouldn't let me carry on my bass, and I checked it at the gate. When I got it back there was a hole in the side of the hardcase, no kidding, a hole. I covered the thing in "fragile, do not drop" stickers. Anyway they said they would pay to have the case repaired but that they aren't liable for musical instruments.

So now I'm gonna go tune up the bass and see if there's anything wrong with it, its not ostensibly damaged but I'm thinking it was tossed around pretty ferociously. What's going on in New Orleans is a terrible disaster, on a scale never seen in this country before. People are losing their lives and homes and I realize my problems are small cookies. Anyway, I wish the best of luck to anyone still in the region trying to get through this thing.

How do you guys fly with your electrics? Do you normally check it?
  2. I don't have any advice, but I'm glad you're safe! My guitarist had a similar experience with his SKB-built ATA case... it had a huge hole put in it- complete with dirty bootmark.
  3. Those fragile stickers might as well read "play tackle football with me" to the gate workers.
  4. WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    i like tictacs, do you have any firsthand experience with that? Or are you just guessing? The thought occured to me that they might handle it roughly because of the stickers, but then I decided that no one could be that much of a dick.
  5. 'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    I remember flying Delta from TX to NY in 96.
    They got a 3 out of 4 rating...

And by that I mean they broke 3 of the 4 uprights (mine included) my school was bringing.
  6. You must of heard the story of the guy sending some large photos through the US Postal Service, in a large padded envelope, with the stickers PHOTOGRAPHS - DO NOT BEND!!! firmly attached to the outside…

…needless to say, they arrived neatly folded in two, with the note scrawled across the package:

"Oh Yes They Do!!!!"

Man, that's a major bummer about New Orleans - well, I hope your insurance is good!

- Wil
  7. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Oh look. ANother opportunity to tell the saga of how American Airlines destroyed one of my favorite basses.

Long, long ago in...well this same galaxy, but let's not let that ruin things, I was in a band that did a bit of traveling. My main bass in that era was a Ric 4003. It was a good bass. It sounded like I thought a bass should sound, back then.(I started in a Rush tribute band. What do you expect.) I decided I needed a good backup bass. I found a Univox Stereo Bass model. That was their lawsuit Ric 4003 copy. Well it was such a good copy that IT became my main bass, and the real Ric became the backup...

until American Airlines apparently dumped it out of its case onto a hard surface. I base this assumption on the fact that not only were chunks of the binding missing, but the trussrod (I think it only had one) was broken. The neck now had an 'S' curve. I twas never playable again. I still miss it.
  8. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Sheesh, it sounds like if you have the choice between traveling with a bass and storing it in the monkey enclosure at your local zoo, the latter is probably the safer bet. :ninja:
  9. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Depends. How big are the monkeys?