1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)


Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Sep 21, 2005.

  1. Well folks, tonight I'm heading out to Denton, Texas (just north of Dallas) cause of Hurricane Rita.

    I'm bringing my main axe with me (schecter), but all of my amps, my ibanez, and my Jackson (guitar) will all have to sit in my closet.

    If any of you are actually concerned about my welfare or anything, I'll PM you my cell number so you can contact me.

    Or if any of you in the Dallas area want to hang out, let me know.

    I'll post some more today, but this is my offical "I'm getting the **** out of here" thread. See you in a few days.

  2. Please take a little advice from me: Bring one amp; just a little one; and a gig bag with essential stuff like a strap, tuner, and cables! I didn't, 'causeI thought I'd be back in 4-5 days.

    MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

    Get to Safety Jake , let me know how you are doing. :)
  4. Well Jake, I was going to ask for your street address in Houston so I could go check and make sure nobody looted that Jackson; however, I just noticed on the NOAA site that Rita has been upgraded to a Category 5. The other looters can have the Jackson. I think I will stay put in western Colorado. Good luck in Denton and I hope you took an amp, cables and a laptop. Right now it's looking like it might be several days or a week before you are back home.
  5. Oh my goodness.

    At 4 pm today, the drive between the south of houston to Huntsville on i-45 - estimated FOURTEEN HOURS. On a regular day, that's maybe TWO hours, at the most!

    Going to Denton should be a 4-5 hour drive. I'm lucky if this lasts 10.

    I'm leaving at 3 am.

    I'll be crashing with my boys who go to UNT, hence me going to Denton.

    The rest of my family thinks they'll be safe with our aunt/uncle who live 20 minutes north of here. I'm not so sure myself. Plus I rarely see these friends, so thats why I'm going.
  6. Jr, of course we care about your welfare, stay safe. Things can be replaced, you can't. You are doing the right thing, you don't mess around with a category five storm. A friend's elderly mother lives near Waco, and she is headed to Dallas. I don't blame her a bit. Post when you can, let us know how you are doing.

  7. Allow me to second this. My amp went under 5 feet of water at a friend's house. Take one.

  8. Well, I'm going to bed, maybe I can get a few hours of sleep before I hit the road.

    See you all in 4-5 days.

    God bless.

  9. darkfish01


    Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    I live in North Houston and my parents refuse to leave. I personally want to take my Spector, my Behringer 120 watt practice amp, accessories, and get the heck out of here. I'd head to Boerne because I have some family out in the hill country there. But no, my parents want to stay here and so maybe there won't be a darkfish01 after this weekend. :bawl:
  10. Well, **** me.

    So, I leave at 3 am, as planned. I drive down some of the freeways and they're open. So far so good.Then I hit hardy toll road. Hardy Toll Road is a 20 mile stretch of road that connects two major freeways in Houston (Interstate 610 and Interstate 45).

    So I take the Hardy exit and drive down it. I was stuck there for FIVE FREAKING HOURS AND I TRAVELED ONLY 15 MILES!

    Estimated drive time from houston to dallas as of now: 24 to 36 hours. Keep in mind, on a normal day this should be a four hour drive, max.

    Finally I said screw it it and came home. Physically and mentally I just couldn't stick out the drive. Bumper to bumper traffic for an estimated 150 miles. ****ing ridiculous.

    My family doesn't have many travel plans left. We may be forced to ride the storm out. Luckily I live in an area with a "low chance" of flooding.

    Worst comes to worse, we'll be heading to some relatives house on the northside of town, which isn't expected to get it bad

    I'm so mad/frustrated/upset/tired right now I don't even know what to do with myself.
  11. budman

    budman Commercial User

    Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    We left this morning about six and only lasted a half hour before we turned around. We hadn't even got to a freeway yet.
  12. Can you at least move your equipment upstairs to minimize chance of flood damage? Plastic wrap and sandbags, just small area for bass amp might be doable?

    Maybe ship it somewhere safe? I recommend insurance highly in this case...

  13. Well guys, I don't know where I'm going, but wherever it is, I'm leaving for it momentarily.

    As of 12 noon here (-06 GMT), my suburb is now under official mandatory evacuation. No, the national guard isn't knocking on my door or anything, but in a few hours if we aren't gone they will be telling us to do so.

    I'll report as soon as I can, but I'll gone 4-5 days at least.

    I just hope I have a house to return to.

    Be safe everybody.

  14. MikeBass

    MikeBass Supporting Member

    Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Good luck guys.
    God Speed to wherever your heading.
    I'll go out on a limb here and say that all of us here at TB will have you guys down there in our thoughts and prayers.

    PLEASE post as soon as you can so we know your doing OK.
    We'll be waiting.................................................
  15. Pruitt


    Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    Good luck guys! Get the heck out of there if you can! Safety first! This type of storm is simply not worth fooling around with! Best of luck!!
  16. Boplicity

    Boplicity Supporting Member

    Gosh, what a tough situation! I have been watching the traffic jams on TV. They approach biblical proportions and then...the horrific bus fire that took 25 lives of elderly and infirm evacuees. Steven King couldn't write a worse novel. Jerry Bruckheimer couldn't film a worse disaster movie.

    But coastal residents are really caught between the devil (traffic gridlock) and the deep blue sea. I've been by the deep blue sea in Jeanne and Francis. Those nights, I would have taken the traffic jam instead.

    Learn from the Katrina victims. Keep an axe handy. If you HAVE to get on your roof, you can cut through it with your axe.

    You said you will run to your relative's house if things get bad. I said that too. But guess what. During the height of the storm when I thought I'd go nuts if I didn't run to my Mom's house, the storm had already blown down hundred year old ficus trees. No roads were passable. There was no escape.

    I beg you, please, please make your decision to go to a safer house EARLY. Once the winds hit hurricane strength, flight to another house may be impossible or just too dangerous.

    Please take care and keep us posted.
  17. I really hope everything turns out well and we don't have a repeat of Katrina.
  18. I hope you'll be safe your family too and your house if possible....
  19. Wow.

    Good news: The storm took a powerful turn northwestward, and our house went completely unscathed. I'm now back home, everything is still here and we even still have our power!

    The house we evacuated to actually got it worse - we lost power there and the rain and winds were much worse. We decided to go ahead and come back home since our area was barely scraped, and we wanted to avoid all the effing traffic.

    Bad news: Well, we brought our cats with us, and one of them, our 16 year old cat, ran out of the house and has since gone MIA. We can't find him. We fear the worst...

    But besides the cat, no problems here. Actually, if you didn't know a hurricane was coming, our town looks like just a small thunderstorm passed.
  20. glad you are safe.