1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Evah E,A vs. Eudoxa E,A

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by David Kaczorowski, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Can any of you who've tried the EP's and EP Weich E and A compare them to Eudoxa E and A?

2. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    DFW Area, Tejas
    Dave,

I switched over to the regular EP's from the Eudoxa and haven't looked back. I think the A is the best string in the set. I really like the way my Oliv G sits with them, and the D is good enough to not tempt me back to gut.

A little smoother than the Eudoxas in the winding. The E on the Eudoxa is looser feeling than the EP, which I like for bowing.

Sound wise, they are very similar, but they feel a little tighter.

3. Thanks, Monte.

4. Amin

Amin

Oct 22, 2004
    Italy
    Hello.
    I am mainly an arco player, and would like to know something more about Eudoxa compared to others strings such Olivs (I do have Olivs on my bass now), or Evah Pirazzi (synthetic gut)...

I find Olivs wonderful for volume, richness of tone and softness, but still have some doubts about their tension (low-tension to me means more difficulties for clarity of attack -just think to 16th or 32th notes..- and more difficulties to keep a high pressure bowing...).

What about orchestral playing? and what about solo playing..?

If anyone has some opinion to share, I would be so grateful...

5. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Rinat is using a set of solo eudoxas here:

6. how does the Oliv G feel tension wise with the rest of the EP's. i have regular EP's on my bass now and i just don't want to have one string with way lighter tension.

7. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    DFW Area, Tejas
    It wasn't bad, but as they got older the tension was noticeably different.

I have on the EP Weichs with an Oliv G and it is close to perfect.