Evah Pirazzi Gold/Slap Synthetic G material change?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Hoyt, May 9, 2021.

1. Hoyt

Hoyt

Jun 29, 2006
    Saint Charles, IL.
    I ordered a replacement synthetic G from Gollihur Music (thanks Mark!) last week.

After I installed it, it occurred to me that it seemed a little different than the first couple I had had previously.

I had ordered these when they first came out and because my sweat is corrosive to gut strings, I opted for the full synthetic set.

I absolutely LOVE the E, A, & D strings, but the G was wrapped in aluminum. It sounded/matched great but the aluminum wrap deteriorated fairly quickly. Pirastro actually sent me a replacement G and that aluminum wrap did the same over a period of months.

On my Kay I opted for a solo “G” from Pirastro’s Evah Pirazzi solo set. The tone match wasn’t perfect and the tension seemed slightly mismatched, but it wasn’t drastic the chrome wrap “felt” right (though the diameter was thinner).

On my KDB Roadking, I opted for an old Chordes-Lambert synthetic I had in the string drawer for the G. It actually matched really well, but I missed the feel of having all steel strings.

The replacement I just got seems a hair thinner than the older Aluminum wrapped G I first had, but not drastically so. The feel is slightly different, but much closer to the EAD than previously, and the actual wrap on the strings seems like it’s a tighter pattern than the first versions I had. This is all subjective because I didn’t keep the old broken strings.

Did Pirastro change the construction of these? I’m hopeful about its longevity (I’ve had the E, A, & D strings on since mid 2017) if they have.

Dutch Williams likes this.
  2. It’s not in their habit once a string has been released on the market, but you can ask them at [email protected].

Dutch Williams and Hoyt like this.
  3. Hoyt

Hoyt

Jun 29, 2006
    Saint Charles, IL.
    Thanks! I have their contact info, but sometimes I think there’s a bit of a language barrier (at least it seemed that way when I corresponded with Antje Rosenberger).

4. Adrian Mueller, Pirastro's technical director, speaks a very good english, at least better than mine. :)
    My primary language is french, so don't fear of writing to them.
    No need to write in german. :)

I don't think they'd modify the recipe of a string unless there's a very serious problem or a material supply rupture.

5. Hoyt

Hoyt

Jun 29, 2006
    Saint Charles, IL.
    Je parle francaise tre mal :)

Maybe I’ll shoot them an email just to satisfy my curiosity. Merci beaucoup!

6. I only know they had problems with the synthetic higher strings when they wanted to release them, so they sold them with the gut strings first. The guts were not intended to be part of the set in the long run but gave them time to solve the synthetic upper string problem.

I would not exclude that they may have fine tuned the synthetic even after the initial synthetic release, but you better ask Pirastro about this.
    If they tweaked them a bit, I‘m sure they would be happy to hear that you are more happy with the current one.

Dutch Williams and Hoyt like this.
  7. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    Your last statement says it all. From experience, many of the things you're noticing (but can't confirm) could be simply chalked up to tolerances. As in, the strings you had in the past were at the top end of the tolerance, and the one you have in front of you is at the bottom. I've also seen one spool of a material wind differently than an identical spool of material.

Of course, during this past year when every single link the manufacturing chain has dealt with issues, they could've had to deviate one of the materials in order to get orders out the door. And truthfully, this happens more than you'd think. For everybody.

Like a pandemic, perhaps? :D

Luigir, Dutch Williams and Sam Reese like this.
  8. Dutch Williams

Dutch Williams Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2021
    I've read this elsewhere but the G is leaving marks on my fingers ... ???
    does this go away??
    weird.

9. Dutch! I've been getting skid marks on my fingers too, especially my pinky. I don't think it's going to stop. By chance is there oil on your fingerboard? Mine was conditioned by the luthier and I thought my black fingers were from the oil, but have always suspected the strings. I haven't noticed which strings are causing it, but I'm in the same boat as you. (and) They sound great!

10. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Queen City of the Plains
    Krivo Pickups
    I think it has to do some thing with the aluminum wrap, the same thing happened to me.

I will say it is an improvement over velvet anima, which used to turn my fingers green.

Earl, Sam Reese and Dutch Williams like this.
  11. Dutch Williams

Apr 14, 2021
    It’s 100% the G string (maybe others but DEFINITELY the g)
    It’s the only string that’s ever MARKED my finger lmao.
    I’ve emailed pirastro we will see what they say am I slowly getting ALUMINUM POISONING?!?!!!! Lmao

Sam Reese and HateyMcAmp like this.
  12. Dutch Williams

Apr 14, 2021
    What’s the brand that causes your fingers to fall off completely? That would be a game changer.

Sam Reese likes this.
  13. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Queen City of the Plains
    Krivo Pickups
    At least then I would have an excuse for my playing.

Sam Reese and Dutch Williams like this.
  14. Dutch Williams

Apr 14, 2021
    How long have you had it on there? Has it marked your finger the whole time you’ve had it on or has it lessened over time?

15. marcox

marcox

Dec 10, 2007
    Phoenix
    I'm also getting dark marks with lightly used synthetic EAD (purchased from a TBer) and a new synthetic G (from the good folks at Gollihur). The new G has been on my bass for about 2 months.

I'm confident it's the strings, not my fingerboard. I guess we'll see if/when the material transfer stops. :)

16. It's been heavy duty the whole time. I still have a faint pinky stain from yesterday. What works best cleaning it off your fingers?

17. Dutch Williams

Apr 14, 2021
    The “if” question scares me for some reason :eek:

18. Dutch Williams

Apr 14, 2021
    Dang. I get it on my right index as well, obviously. Yeah it’s crazy. Hopefully pirastro hits me back with something that makes sense/is useful. I’d recommend emailing them as well via their website. Maybe they’ll realize it’s a weird issue with their customers!!!!
    Honestly I scrub the bejesus out of it with HOT water and good ol liquid soap, mostly goes away, still got that little ghost stain though .... spooky ..... :eek::eek:

19. marcox

marcox

Dec 10, 2007
    Phoenix
    Huh. Mine goes away without much effort. A little soap and (room temp tap) water does the trick.

20. Last week I had some olive oil(?) on my hand and I think it acted like a solvent and took the skid mark off my left pinky. I did an experiment tonight and played E,A,D only and did get a little darkness on my pinky. So, finger discoloration can occur with the chrome wraps as well as aluminum wrap based on my findings.