Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Evaluate my rig!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by davefrommound, Jul 21, 2005.

1. davefrommound

davefrommound

Jul 21, 2005
    I have a Hartke HA4000 head, a Fender Bassman 2x15 cab, a Tech21 SansAmp pedal and play a Samick Royale RLB-3 Bass (had to have light with active pickups, plus it looks great).

So here's my question... Obviously I have a ton of low end thanks to the 2x15. Would you recommend picking up a 2x10 (and if so, what make/model?) or a 4x10 (same - make/model?)?? I'd prefer to not have to lug around another 80 lbs of cab if it's not necessary.

My budget is kind of a constraint, I'd prefer to pick something up that can handle the Hartke but not cost a ton. We play hard rock (think Velvet Revolver meets Smashing Pumpkins) and we're a three piece, so I need to fill space as well (hence the 2x15 low end and fuzz from the Tech21 pedal).

Thanks,
    Dave

2. Is there anything that you wish your current rig could do that it can't? If so, what?

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Can your head go lower than 4ohms? I am thinking the 2x15 is probably 4ohms and that might be a barrier to getting more cabs. I dont know much about Fender cabs but 2x15 should be more than enough for most situations.

4. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Well you could check out avatar speakers. Dave who owns avatar speakers has a neo 210 cab heres a link to Dave's site check out his stuff very resonably priced and affordable. Avatar is well known around the TB community and lots of guys love his stuff.avatar speakers

5. davefrommound

davefrommound

Jul 21, 2005
    I just want a little more clarity and punch in the mids/highs. The 2x15 sounds a bit mucky.

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I would think with a 215 cab and a 4-10 cab, your rig would be pretty underpowered being driven by a Hartke head.

7. davefrommound

davefrommound

Jul 21, 2005
    ok, so any suggestions on 2x10 cabs?

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Actually I'd replace the drivers in your 2x15 cab with a better sounding driver and skip the 2x10 for now. Just adding a 2x10 on top of a muddy sounding cab isn't really going to help a lot... If you clear up the muddiness, then the mids will come through a lot better.

9. davefrommound

davefrommound

Jul 21, 2005
    good suggestion, thanks.

10. That could come out with rolling off the bass eq as well no?

11. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I wish more people would at least TRY what I've been preaching about all the time around here!

I'm telling you: the JBL JRX125 PA cab is efficient (LOUD!), the tone is spectacular, and the wide, even high-mids and treble dispersion just can't be had without a real HORN. This issue of dispersion can be more important than many think - cone-only cabs (or cone and a tiny tweeter), especially-specially horizontal arrays of them ('side-by-side') only sound full-range when you're standing directly in front of them; get off-axis just a little, and they mud-out. With the JRX, it sounds virtually the same over a wide angle!

I bought mine for only $400 new.

Joe

12. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    we have those JRX's as our PA FOH speakers - not bad...but my bass didn't sound that good thru them - maybe its just bad sound engineering...

13. BillisCool

BillisCool

Apr 16, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    The Fender cab isn't that great... I actually like the Hartke heads...

Those Fender cabs keep getting louder while you keep hearing less... Before you know it, you're blowing everyone else out of the water, and you still can't hear yourself.

Of course, a couple of good 15"s would help out a ton... but...

I really think you're probably in need of a 1x15 4x10 stack setup. That way you can be a little more versitle on what your sound it... and your rig will respond much better to your tone knob... and that's huge if you're covering a wide variety of material.

Clarity is key. You'll hear it much better at lower volumes, and you'll just plain old sound better.

IMHO. :)