Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Evans/Gomez: You Must Believe in Spring

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Stefan Boeters, Dec 15, 2000.

1. One of my favorite recordings of the Bill Evans Trio is with Eddie Gomez and Eliot Zigmund: "You Must Believe in Spring". My question is about the title piece.

"You Must Believe in Spring" is a nice ballad by Michel Legrand, and the Bill Evans' version of it starts with a rubato exposition of the theme. Then Eddie Gomez plays a solo in double time, which has been transcribed by Lucas Pickford (and I can only agree to Lucas' praise of Eddie's playing). Piano solo follows and passes into a shortened version of the theme for an ending. (I've transcribed Eddie's accompanying line in the piano solo. If someone is interested in that, I could send you a copy by surface mail.)

Now this is my question: Just before the end of the bass solo (in the second or third last measure) there is a -- to my ears: somewhat abrupt -- acceleration of the tempo. (This bothered me when I was transcribing because I had difficulty to identify the exact beginning of the piano chorus.) If you have the CD at hand and if your curiosity has been piqued, I would be interested in your opinion: Is it likely that such a tempo change happens in a recording situation? Or is it a sign of a cut in the track?

Stefan

2. Just in case somebody is still interested in that question -- Lucas Pickford sent me his point of view in an e-mail:

3. JAS

JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    California
    hey, i would love to see both Stefan's transcription and the transcription of the solo. that is a great album. That group would shift tempos and shift feels all the time. Bill was really into classical music, so he got that type of organic quality that lets the music breath from there. I would be very greatful if you would send me a copy of your transcription. thanks.