1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Evelyn Glennie

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Wil Davis, Oct 25, 2004.

1. I was in Worcester (MA) last Saturday night to hear the Luxembourg Philharmonic. Evelyn Glennie was the featured soloist in a couple of the pieces - what an amazing performance! The orchestra is touring North America at the moment - if you want to experience one of the world's finest percussionists first hand, try to take in one of her performances - the schedule for her US Tour is here.

…and now, for the bass-related stuff - I noticed that five of the eight double-basses used in the orchestra were 5-string models, a feature which seems to be more common in the European orchestras than those in the USA. Anyone else notice this? I was wondering why this might be. Comments anyone?

- Wil

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes - she is amazing - I've seen her live in concert and many times on TV - it seems that she is the premier percussion soloist in the world and if any percussion concerto has been written in the last decade it was dedicated to her - in fact she almost seems to have invented the role of star solo percussionist - which didn't exist before !! Star pianist, violinist, cellist etc etc - yes - percussion - what?

I've got a few good CDs as well - Schwantner's percussion concerto is a favourite along with pieces written by Turnage which also included Pete Erskine,John Scofield and other Jazz players. :)

I've pointed this out before - especially with Russian orchestras. So there are many prominent parts in 20th Century music that need this - I pointed out a Shostakovich Symphony which finishes with a wonderful DB part -where all the DBs just play low C below the E string in a rhythmic figure that reaches a sustained climax.

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I dig her.