1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

even a bass needs tlc

Discussion in 'DB Classifieds Archive' started by agmckee, Oct 3, 2003.

1. agmckee

agmckee

Oct 3, 2003
    New York City
    i've got a pre-war German laminated bass w/ ebony fingerboard that's in need of some tlc. the neck is currently off the instrument and needs to be reset. otherwise it's in pretty good shape (no cracks, divots, etc.). i don't have the time or resources at the moment to have this work done so i'm hoping to sell it to someone who does. i can send photos on request.
    much thanks for any ideas on where to go with this.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    What kind of money you looking for and I'd like to see some shots.

you can send them to webguy@hartsafire.com

thanks

I'm desperate to get learning Upright Jazz and coming dangeriously close to just grabbing an eBay Chinese to get me started :eek:

3. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Hey, agmckee; any chance you'd like to fully identify yourself for the talkbass legions? I'm sure the site could really benefit from the input of a bass heavyweight like you!

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Now that is an understatement! Welcome to TB!

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Second that! Welcome, Andy, hope you're in a talking mood.

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Third that. Welcome aboard. Nice web site, too...

7. And it's fourthed!! Welcome Andy...

8. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    5th that - welcome Andy - ncie playing at the Fez - um....could I buy Mingus' bass from you?

9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Gotta love a jazz bassists' website that features recipes for blackened ahi and key lime pie...

10. Andy...Is the Mingus bass the one with the lion head or gargoyle ? I've always been curious about that bass...Can you tell us about it?
    Also, I'm curious about the Hamton Hawes Project...
    After checking your site, I see from the picture that it is the bass I was thinking of!

11. agmckee

agmckee

Oct 3, 2003
    New York City
    the mingus bass is a good instrument of probably czech (?) origin. as i've been involved in the mingus big band since '93 there have been opportunities to play it and really check it out. the head stock is kinda' cool but not something you might want to do to your own bass. it was originally a normal scroll shape that was carved to look like a sort of gargoyle. the head stock on my bass (august bernardel, circa 1840) was original to the instrument, carved from a big chunk of wood by monks who then sent the piece back to the luthier for attaching to the body of the bass.

and thanks to you all for such a warm welcome. i never think of the great numbers of our kind that inhabit the planet.