Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

even more computer help

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by KSDbass, Sep 15, 2005.

1. KSDbass

KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    atlanta
    ok, I'm not very smart when it comes to computers, but I gave up on dell's website after about 2 hours. So I was wondering if dell sold extra sides for the chassis on a 2400 dimension desktop, if I buy a new power supply, will the watts that I'm not using hurt my computer(i.e. the supply puts out 500 watts, but my copmuter only uses 400), and how do I know if a case is compatible with my computer?

2. I dont know if Dell sells extra sides for their cases, but as for the question about the power supply, you wont do any harm having a power supply that puts out more power than what your computer uses. It doesnt actually send more power to each component. It just means you can have more peripherals.

All you need to know if a case is compatable is what size motherboard you have, either ATX or Micro ATX (or if you have a REALLY old one AT, which you should upgrade over your case anyways). When looking at the specs of a case itll tell you if its compatable with ATX or Micro ATX.

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Altough a higher power rating isn't dangerous by any means, I seriously doubt your computer draws 400 watts of power even at maximum load. High performance computers usually do just fine with 250-300 W. Even then about 25% of the power is wasted heat.

4. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Power load requirements depend strongly on the number and type of devices in a computer. While an average high performance desktop is probably fine with a 300w supply (though I wouldn't trust either a P4 or Athlon 64 to anything less than 400) you will not find that amount of power sufficient when you add on a pair of extra hard disks, a DVD Drive, Burner, a couple case fans, a CPU cooling unit and a high end GPU with a chasis supplied power bus and its own fan.

My system actually has TWO 400 watt supplies. One for CPU and peripherals, the other for cooling. I have a a Barton 3200, two drives, a DVD Rom, an ATI 9800 Pro and several chasis fans. The system was kind of flaky about booting when I first got it and my BIOS showed less than optimal voltage levels at several key points. Moving all the cooling to a seperate PSU solved that problem nicely.

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Oh dear, if that's not overkill I don't know what is. Cooling fans draw, what, about 5-7 W each when run at full speed? I run a system which consumes about as much power as yours, and it runs flawlessly with a 300W PSU. Either your PSU was terribly inefficient or somehow flawed, or you have more fans in your system than I dare to dream of.

6. Id actually quite like to see a picture of that.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Or, showing off. I used to work with a guy who did that kind of stuff to PC's he built just to add some "geek bling bling" to his case. He had lights, fans, buttons, and devices all over inside his case.

-Mike

8. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    New sides? They can get the parts, but they do not sell it from their website. You might be able to call into spare parts and get the piece, but I do not believe it will be cheap.

New power supply? Sorry, won't work. All the pionts given above are a mute point. The power supply in the Dells is and always has been a modified ATX power supply. Except the early early ones, and PC Limited models. That said, everything will plug up just fine, but you will be unable to turn your pc on. There's a cable that goes from the front of the motherboard to the power switch and that is the proprietary part which differs from other power supplies out there.

This is how OEMs keep their PCs 'standard' and limited to user upgrades.

Let me know if you want clarification on this and I can take pictures as examples or point you to the manuals which bom out the parts.

9. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I will agree it is overkill. I probably would have been fine with just a tab more power, but since I had an extra 400 watt PSU sitting around....

I'm running 2 chassis fans,1 1 exhaust fan, 1 CPU fan, and 1 GPU fan. Living in MD in a house without AC and you will need at least this much cooling. Ambient temps in my office room frequently topped 100 degrees during July-August. I had to relocate my server, wireless and DSL router to a closet because they were throwing too much heat to allow on my desk.

Now that I'm in an apartment with central AC my next system won't need to be cooled quite so much. I'm also thinking of going with an ITX factor case for my next box, but the mainboard choice in that line aren't that extensive just now...

10. KSDbass

KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    atlanta
    ok, I called Dell, and they said that the motherboard was flash 160L audio video interface network card v2, and they weren't sure about power supply compatibility. So, if anyone knows what size the motherboard is for a dell 2400 dimension desktop, please tell me

11. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    the extra watts won't hurt it.

something similar is going on with my dads. amd his is fine.

un related... but hey, i made it into a sig

:)

12. And isnt that the important thing? We all want to be in someone else's sig.

13. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    yes, actually, it is.

congrats. you just made it into one.

:)

14. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Sorry, no matter what, it ain't gonna work. I sent you a PM response, but awaiting an email address to send you images and other information.

So, back to the issue, what will more power give you? Unless you spend $50-120 on a power supply that is made for being ultra quiet, you'll get more fan noise. 500w is fine in any case, but what do you need it for? Ask yourself that and if there is no other answer than 'cause', then it's useless. If you are planning on putting in more drives, good luck with that too, because the limitations in the 2400 chassis it limited. I can show you a picture of one that is filled up if you'd like. If you want a panel to cut up and make neon - go for it with the piece you have. Leaving it running will not cause any harm, only keep animal hair, dust, etc. out of the parts.

Regardless, it ain't gonna work. Not sure how many times I need to reiterate that.

Don't believe me? I've dealt with PC Limited, Dell and even did a handful of years at Dell, and have worked with other companies that we've ordered nothing but Dells, and currently order about 25-30 desktops/notebooks a quarter and server, storage array here and there from Dell as well. I'm a bit too familiar with their boxes.

15. Holy crap, this is freakin awesome. My first sig comment. :)

16. KSDbass

KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    atlanta
    sorry about the wait for my email whoapower, I just got xbox live and was getting destroyed by Lucart and one of his friends