Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Even more obssessive poll..Fenders

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andy Daventry, May 25, 2001.

1. I prefer the way passive Fenders sound

100 vote(s)
    58.8%
  2. I prefer the active Fenders sound

12 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. I like both. No preference

35 vote(s)
    20.6%
  4. Fender? Wouldn't touch one with a barge pole!

23 vote(s)
    13.5%
  1. I like Fenders. That is, I like the passive Fender sound. I don't really go for the active sound. I wondered how widely my addiction is shared..

2. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    I'm with ya Andy. Perhaps it is because the passive Fender sound is what originally defined the electric bass.

3. Given a choice, I prefer passive. For the same reasons I prefer tube amps, AM radio (especially the CBC here in Canada, no compression) and vinyl (vs CD).

Sometimes it seems to me that the more technology advances the delivery of sound, the more gets lost from that sound. Something undefinable. Mojo, spirit, soul, something.

Of course, that's just my opinion, and I have no real evidence to back it up.

FF

4. I like both.
    Got passive P’s & Jazz, and an active P Lyte. I love the sound of the passives at home, but find in a loud live situation that active’s work better for me for the stage sound.
    Can’t judge if it sounds better to the audience, but I can hear active’s much clearer when things get a bit manic. …And it’s not for lack of amplification. I use an Ashdown 500 with Eden & Mesa cabs.

Must admit that I didn't like the sound of my (now gone) '81 P Special active, until I put an EMG p/up and pre-amp on it.

5. davelowell

davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    i like my elite II's active circuits and my 77 precision's passive, but i don't really like the new active stuff they have been putting out lately.

dave

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    woo i'm the only one to have voted for the active!!

i love the passive sound too, but i've played nothing but active for so long that i NEED it. passive basses don't seem to work right for me.

were i to buy a jazz bass, i'm sure i'd drop actives in it.

oh well

jason

7. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    It all depends, I like both, but prefer a passive Fender in most cases. Fender's active electronics are not that great IMO, but there are some nice (aftermarket) onboard preamps for them.

My favorite bass to play is my J-Retro Geddy, but I also have an unmodified Geddy because I dig the default sound too.

The reason I prefer the active, modified GL at this point is for the onboard EQ and tonal variations, plus it still sounds like a Fender. It has a decent growl, but the active electronics clean up the passive somewhat, so it's a trade off. Still, in a blind test, it's undeniably a Fender to the ears.

The J-Retro added some bottom end balls too. ;)

8. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Generally, I prefer the passive Fender sound.

I really liked the sound of Urge II, which is active. Only problem is that it doesn't really sound like a Fender. I don't think it has a passive bypass, either.

9. oarsman

oarsman

May 11, 2001
    Like the sound of a Jazz don't care much for the P sound. In the passive realm the P is too pushy for me. In the active realm who cares? You can get the sound of a diesel locomotive if you like but don't like the Fender actives.
    Preference is to be an elderly bass player and filling up the low end with passive sound.

10. oarsman

oarsman

May 11, 2001
    If you're playing with a barge pole you shouldn't be anywhere near a bass anyway. Can I get finger straps with those barge poles? I wonder if Mr. Levin plays with barge poles...

11. Passive, man, passive. Give me the Fender sound of the 60s, this defined the Fender sound, and the sound I like in general.(Gibsons too!) I also like modern bass sound, but what would you rather have; An apple pie baked by Mama, or a "Sit on the shelf for weeks" pop tart?

Flatwounds, I demand flatwounds!

Mike J.

12. BASS_PLAYERS

BASS_PLAYERS

Mar 3, 2001
    Ada, Ok
    Batteries?? We don't need no stinkin' batteries.

13. You have no idea how hard that just made me laugh!

:D

FF

14. G

G

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    Passive all the way man. There are no active Fenders in my opinion. I put an EMG in a P bass once... Then I took it out.

15. davelowell

davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    >>>>>>Batteries?? We don't need no stinkin' batteries.

hahahahaha. nice!!! i laughed out loud for once online!

dave

16. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I agree, I thought I would want an active bass. I had one for about a month and the battery thing drove me mad! Passives for me too.

17. Are we talking active as in having passive pickups with an active preamp or as having both active pups and preamp?

18. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    I think for the purposes of this discussion, consider any Fender that has a battery in it to be active.

Unless of course the battery is being used for fretboard lights or something similar. :D

19. Passive all the way. I dont think Ill ever play an active. I just havent found one I like.

20. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    So overwhelming that I don't know why I'm posting except to up my numbers :D

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... the stock pickup in my passive '98 MIA P-Bass is flat out THE best sounding pickup that I have ever heard. My opinion only, of course, but it just does it for me. Passives in all my basses for now...

-robert