1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Even number of neck pieces? + latest find

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Frank Martin, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The majority of bass necks are made with odd number of neck pieces. Should I stay away from even number of pieces?

The reason I ask is this, my latest find:

[​IMG]

It's a very nice piece of wenge: straight, very resonant (balancing it on my palm in the middle, and then hitting it with my knuckles, it not only gives that pang sound, but also resonates for a short time like a pitchfork! :hyper: ) and also lighter than the average! :hyper:
    Oh and this was a showpiece sample for years, so that means a long time of air drying :smug:
    However, this was the last/only one. The new batches are smaller: thinner and shorter. And this one is not perfectly quartersawn. It's grain is only 70-80°

As I was also thinking about using maple or birch for the neck (but wenge as a core), to have a lower-weight neck, should I go with a 4-piece neck or a 5-piece (like this ASCII-art)?
    Code:
    ________      __________
    ||\\//||      ||\\||//||
    mwwm        mwmwm    
    bwwb          bwbwb
    So, what do you think?

Thanks in advance!

2. Personally, I would feel better to not have a glue seam underneath the truss rod. I know the joint should be stronger than the wood itself, but still....

You have a good centerline either way.

3. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    My good ol' Peavey T-40 has a two piece maple neck and it's plenty stable. I think the main reason people like odd numbers is that you can contrast your centre lam instead of having two similar (though not necessarily identical) colours of wood side by side.

-Nate

4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Peavey Unities also had an even number, with a seam right down the middle. Never heard of any problems.

Likewise, I believe, with the MusicMan bi-cut neck.

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Ok.

Well, well, mwwm, bwwb, mwbwm, mwmwm, bwbwbw... :meh: decisions, decisions...

Edit:
    And how's about european hard ash?

6. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Pedulla makes 2 piece necks on their thunderbolt models

7. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I've never heard of a Pedulla having a neck problem. Ever.

8. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Very true:)

9. G&Ls have a 2-piece neck.

10. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Yes, and if I remember my patents correctly, I think the MM is split dead on center, while the G&L is split just offcenter, to the side of the truss rod.