Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

even response with no tweeter?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rob_d, Nov 11, 2003.

1. rob_d

rob_d

Jun 14, 2001
    Hi,
    I'm looking into getting a good used EA VL-310 cabinet. I already have an iamp 600 to power this. The problem is the cab just has the 310s, it's got no horn/tweeter of any kind. It sounds fine playing on its own but I'm not sure the response it will get in a band with horns/vibes/percussion and all that. I play a Modulus Q 6 string, so the high frequencies definitely come into play when I'm up on the C string.

Is a horn or tweeter necessary to get good response on that end of the bass, or are these cabinets solid enough to do it with just the 310s?

Thanks.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You need a tweeter IMO.

3. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I think it depends on the tone you're looking for. If you like a lot of high end snap, you might be missing it w/o a tweeter.

I personally have grown out of tweeters I think. At my last gig I rolled off the tweeter of my Bergie 210 all the way (and he makes a great HF driver), and I thought it sounded much more warm and pleasant. With good brands like Bergantino, EA, Epifani, etc., the drivers can probably go up to about 5khz or something on their own, so I would think adding a tweeter is more for a different timbre, than for reproducing those frequencies. I might be wrong.

But for me, the combination of a 6-string with Basslines pickups, Demeter preamp and tweeter, the highs were just overbearing, so I don't use the tweeter anymore.

Aram

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    What happened to the coax tweeter that the cab came with? It should be behind the dust cap on the middle 10". I have the same cab (though mine says "CX-310" on the back, it is indeed the same cab), and it has plenty of high end. In fact, it has significantly more than my VL-210's, VL-208's, or VL-110, which is kind of weird, since they have two dedicated mids plus a tweeter. That is a killer cab, and it should match up well with an iAMP 600. I just played a gig this weekend with my CX-310 powered by an iAMP 800, and it worked tremendously.

Tom.

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    even response with no tweeter? The only way I can GET even responce is by killing the tweeter. He probably have different ideas on "Even".

6. Just what Tom B. just said - one of the drivers is a co-ax.

BTW, there's a guy on bassgear selling one for $550. here's his email

gavin.stolte@carle.com

His description of the cab:

QUOTE]Euphonic Audio VL-310 cab. This was EA's largest cabinet (it's now discontinued) contains 3-10's, the middle one being a coaxial speaker, so there's a tweeter control on the back.[/QUOTE]

7. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I was just getting ready to mention Gavin. Check with Gavin on his 310, fair guy to deal with as well.

8. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    I turn to tweeter off.

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I used to turn the tweeters off on my cabs. But once I started buying EA and Epifani cabs, I crank 'em up! The Epi's are especially sweet and add good deal of very useable, very pleasant high end. The EA tweets, especially on the VL-series cabs, are very unobtrusive, and do not sound "disjointed", like some of the less expensive horn tweeters can. I have heard Accugroove tweeters, and they are phenomenal. Right up there with Epifani. From what I have read, the Bergantino cabs have some great tweeters, too, though I've never auditioned one of their cabs.

Tom.

10. rob_d

rob_d

Jun 14, 2001
    Thanks all. I did a little more research into this cab, and EA cabs in general, and realized that the tweeter is actually on the back of the middle speaker as a couple of you mentioned. And thanks for the info on the guy selling the cab for 550...that's about the price I'm getting it for as it is. The guys letting me try it out at my gig on Thursday and Sunday this week, one indoor in a smaller club, the other an outdoor show, so I'll definitely be able to find out if it's to my liking...though I suspect it should be fine.

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    It is a bit heavy to lug around, but I must say it is a fine sounded cab. You should like it. Now, if only EA would build an NL-310! :D

Tom.