1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Even sounding 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vade700, Jan 18, 2013.

1. vade700

vade700

Jan 12, 2012
    Hey everyone! This may belong in the tone section but I figured id ask here. I'm playing an ESP/Ltd b-205sm and I'm having some trouble getting the low B to sound even with the rest of the strings. It's just way too deep. I play one of the new Acoustic b200's. Can anyone offer any suggestions? I really can't utilize the low b because of this issue and I'm debatin selling it. But if I can resolve this issue I may want to stick with it. Thank you

2. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

Check your pickup height on the low B side.

You may need a setup, new nut.

Try a new set of strings, that a balanced.

3. BrBss

BrBss

Jul 9, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    Yeah, a good B string is all about setup.

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Also a 3 or 4 band preamp works well with a 5 because you can boost mids. Mids bring out the harmonics on the low B.

5. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Too deep? As in, too deep in pitch?

That doesn't make any sense to me. If you don't like the pitch of the "B" string, then you shouldn't be playing a five-string... :eyebrow:

MM

6. HomesickBob

HomesickBob Do da Boogie! ;-) Inactive

Jan 15, 2013
    Basel, Switzerland
    if a 5-stringer does not have a natural balanced response there's very few to do.
    changing pup-height or string-type may help a little but when the output decreases up to -1db (a third of perceptible volume) and even more it won't help.
    i worked on a ibanez "fieldy korn", a quite solid built axe but no way to get this weak point off; -db is -db and there ain't no trick to get it off.
    i own an old warwick streamer 5 and beside steinbergers and music mans none brought out the low b in that manner (ok, i missed to test the upper range like alembic or fodera).
    i tested them strings from .115- .135 gauge but the result didnt' differ much: +0.2-0.4 db was the max to get...

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021