1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Even the French know about drummers....

Discussion in 'Bass Humor [DB]' started by Ed Fuqua, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Apparently there is a new English translation of Marcel Proust's A LA RECHERCHE DU TEMPS PERDU. It used to be called (in English) REMEMBRANCE OF THINGS PAST and was about his memories of childhood.

Now it seems to be about drummers and is called IN SEARCH OF LOST TIME.....

2. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    ok, 132 views and no reply...
    does anybody know what bass/strings/pickup/amp this proust uses?
    :)

3. relacey

relacey

Sep 18, 2004
    Who was/is his teacher?

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Praline:
    (John) Hello, I would like to buy a fish license, please.
    Man:
    (Michael) A what?
    Praline: A license for my pet fish, Eric.
    Man: How did you know my name was Eric?
    Praline: No no no, my fish's name is Eric, Eric the fish. He's an halibut.
    Man: What?
    Praline: He is...an...halibut.
    Man: You've got a pet halibut?
    Praline: Yes. I chose him out of thousands. I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.
    Man: You must be a looney.
    Praline: I am not a looney! Why should I be attired with the epithet looney merely because I have a pet halibut? I've heard tell that Sir Gerald Nabardo has a pet prawn called Simon - you wouldn't call him a looney - furthermore, Dawn Pailthorpe, the lady show-jumper, had a clam, called Stafford, after the late Chancellor, Allan Bullock has two pikes, both called Chris, and Marcel Proust had an haddock! So, if you're calling the author of 'A la recherche du temps perdu' a looney, I shall have to ask you to step outside!

5. relacey

relacey

Sep 18, 2004
    :) I got most of my classical education from watching Python, if only to understand the references.

6. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    :) +1!

Thanks Bruce, that was just perfect!

7. Ben Rolston

Ben Rolston Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I don't know why, but recently Proust has just been showing up everywhere. My parents are reading "In Search of Lost Time" currently. I have heard friends talk about him, and he showed up in a movie recently, I forget which one. And now he shows up here.

EDIT: The movie was Little Miss Sunshine where Steve Carrell played a Proust scholar.