Even Worse Night Of My Life!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by 5s_tring freak, Jul 1, 2001.

1. Last night, my reggae band played in the local Battle OF The Bands and it went okay. So later on, I went to my mate Mark's 21st birthday party and I got a little (just a little) drunk. So I very carefully drove to my friend ,Geoff's house. I fell asleep at about 1am, forgetting to take my bass and 2 guitars out of my car.

At 2Am ,Geoffs brother Roddy, comes home and says to me "Rhys, someone has broken into your car!". It took a while to register in my brain but when I saw Roddy out the front door looking at my car, it finally clicked. I went outside and found two windows smashed, glass everywhere, my jacket and brand new shoes gone, and most importantly, the 3 guitars were stolen!

At this stage, I had woken up the whiole neighbourhood because is said the word "f*ck" about 200 times in 2 minutes. Me and Rod took off down the road with my baseball bat, to see if there was any sign of the guitars or the thiefs. There wasn't.

Luckily, I am fully insured and I should get a nice fat insurance pay-out check in the mail in about 7 days.
    I hope to replace my stolen Soundgear with a Warwick Streamer!

Anyone else had any gear stolen off them?

PS; Zulufunk, I beg you not to make fun of me again. There is no way of knowing how I will react to it.
  2. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Wow, that sucks.
  3. BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Sorru dude that really sucks.
  4. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    ....had a $650 Nakamichi cd player ripped off outta my truck, and that was enough for me. Sorry to hear bout your gear, that totally sux!!
  5. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    Well if it makes you feel better, someone stole all of my CDs. I had about 25 of them, so that's about a 300 dollar value stolen. No insurance on that, and what are the cops gonna do about it. I'm sure they have 6 detectives working on the case right now, but they still have time to hang around the park and try to bust teenagers for nothing. Dyarrr, flarkin' pigs!
  6. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    my guess is theyll do exactly what they did for me, take a report and pretend to be working on the case. I really hope ya find your stuff. I found my cd player in a pawn shop, and because i didnt have a reciept (the player was in the truck when i bought it) they wouldnt do anything....i really hope you have better luck than i did.
  7. My grandfather was founder of one of the biggest insurance companies in Australasia so I am getting express service. I bought a 3 guitars from a place called the Rock Shop. The guitatist in my band works there. I had to get valuations of a the guitars for the insurance company and he over-valued them by at least $400, so I should be able to by better guitars.

I don't expect the cops to do anything,nor do I expect to get them back. The cops in New Zealand are really Sh*t when it comes to retrieving stolen goods.
  8. What company would that be? I'm sure I would've heard of it... :D
  9. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    That sucks. I've had 5 basses swiped... My little Fender Musicmaster that had been converted to fretless was stolen from my apartment, (that's the one I miss the most for some reason... sentimental attachment I guess), a P-Bass lifted from right outside the dressing room... They took the guitar players axe at the same time. We only had our back turned for 10 seconds max... Then later that same year, (early eighties), our whole van of equipment was stolen from the side of the road while the same guitar player and I were help two gals change a flat tire. The police said that this same type of theft had been going on in that area for awhile and we weren't the first. Luckily, that time we had insurance, which didn't cover the full value of the equipment, but certainly helped.

10. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Oh, I see. It blows that someone smashed into your car and ripped off your gear, but it's okay for YOU to rip off the insurance company.

And the difference between you and the dudes who stole your stuff would be...what?

Pretty weak, princess.
  11. istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    Hes just eliminating the deductible. Sounds good to me.
  12. Touchy..

I guess another question to ask is, how much has he paid out in insurance. Then he'll prolly be keeping his insurance. And paying them.

I'm gonna guess that the insurance company is getting the best deal about 99% of the time.

I've gotten ripped off by insurance companies before. They are rarely the good guy. Not that they are evil, it's just that they are in it for one thing. Money.

BTW, that does suck 5. The only time I'll leave gear unattended is when it's in the trunk of my car in my garage. Our band room door has a lock that is seperate from the house lock. I've only ever had a stand stolen, so I feel pretty lucky..
  13. The company is Sun Alliance. It is an English company but my grandad set it up in NZ and was director for 30 years. I'm not sure if it is in Australia, but it is the biggest is New Zealand.

Hey jcadmus, I'm not trying to rip off the company. $400 New Zealnd dollars is less than $200 US. I know that I won't get a payout to the value of all my guitars, I'm just trying to make it so I can buy a guitar of the same value, if not better.
  14. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I agree with you 5s_tring freak.

My band and I decided to insure all of our instruments in a one package deal. The amps, bass, guitar, acoustic guitar, drums, mics, mic stands, effect pedals, cables etc. They let us evaluate the amount it´s insured for. We of course evaluated it a little higher just to cover ourselves. It´s pretty damn impossible to get the same kind of equipment here in Iceland if it were to be stolen from us, so we value that in our insurance too.

But we have never had anything stolen from us so far. *knock on wood*
  15. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Getting beat up is one thing, but losing equipment is no laughing matter. I sincerely am glad you looking at the silver lining. You now have a chance to lose the Ibanez and, moreover, beome a Warwickian!
  16. I have to buy all three new guirats from the Rock Shop. I will get the same guitars that I had, Epiphone SG 400, and Washburn Acoustic, but I might be able to get a pretty sweet deal on a new bass.

I might be able to get a new Warwick Corvette Proline for $2100. This in NZ dollars ,so I think that is about $800-$900 US dollars. Can anyone tell me if that is a good deal? I hope it is because I I have a bad case of GAS! I neeeed this bass. I tried it for 15 minutes today, I absolutely love the feel of the neck. It's a hell of a lot more stable than my Soundgear. I also reckon its easier to play.
  17. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    If you like the feel and the sound....then Go for it! :)
  18. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yeah really, thanks for helping drive up rates. Did you say it was your GRANDFATHER'S company you submitted an overvalued claim to?
    Sorry to hear about the theft though....
  19. star

Jul 11, 2001
    Scottsboro, AL . USA
    Dude, that reeally blows. At least you get insured!!
  20. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    man, that sucks. When the school year starts, I'm not going to bring my mia p, so i'm going to use a mim jazz instead. Stuff has been known to be stolen/ruined/damaged there. I have to have a bass for school, but i don't want to risk my mia p-bass.