Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Even your mom wants this rig!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AFWbass, Feb 23, 2006.

1. AFWbass

AFWbass

Jul 16, 2005
    Monroe, CT
    I've got an amepg 8x10 just dying to be cranked. I just acquired a 1200w mackie poweramp. It drives it nicely, but I need some tone from a nice preamp. Right now I'm using a sansamp bddi. I play in a hardcore/metal/southern rock band and I need a nice, clean, punchy distortion. Like He is Legend.

Aguilar? Eden? SWR? Ampeg? Eh?

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The SWR IOD has one of the best distortions/overdrives I have ever heard. Ampeg wouldn't be a bad choice either.

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I'm not familiar with the band you named.

I have the SansAmp RBI, SWR IOD, and Ampeg SVP-Pro. They all offer nice distortion effects. I don't recommend one over the other... here's my quickie rundown.

The IOD has the most outrageous distortion (it can also be run clean and in-between). It's punchy in a low-mid way. The SansAmp is best used for overdrive and mild distortion IMO. It's punchy in a high-mid way. The Ampeg SVP-Pro can deliver strong distortion, and with the versatile EQ, especially the variable midrange, it can punch all kinds of ways.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    If you can't get the tone you are after from the Ampeg SVP-Pro that Fuzz is suggesting, then there is something wrong with you. :)

-Mike

5. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    You can't get good crunch out of a BDDI?

Crank the drive and presence and it will raunch and roll!

If you need more, go for the rackmount RBI, which adds a mid control. IMO the best solid-state SVT faker in the price range.

6. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Yep.

:D

Joe.

7. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I don't really have any advice for you, but He is Legend is amazing.

8. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    On a low and tigh budget i'd recommend a BBE BMAX. You can get it for less than $300 and it's a very nice clean sounding preamp. I think it could work great with the Ampeg 810 since the ampeg is a little muddy and the Bmax is very clean, clear and responsive. If you have a bigger budget try the BMax-T (tube version), Aguilar DB659 or Demeter preamps.

Peace...