1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Evening out volume

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by AzzaKnoldy, Jun 3, 2011.

1. AzzaKnoldy

AzzaKnoldy

May 29, 2011
    Today, I've been learning Creeping Death, by Metallica. On the main/verse riff, I can get the thunderous E string to sound great, but as soon as I get to the 2-3-2-0 on the A string, it sounds pathetic compared to the E string. Is it my bass, technique or...?:confused:

2. Could be a bunch of things... Finger/pick attack, EQ settings, bass setup, uneven pickups, speaker freq response, strings & tension. I'm probably missing some more too.

3. Konigstiger22

Konigstiger22

Mar 22, 2011
    Kenosha, WI
    What kind of bass? Using a pick? I've noticed that I have had the same kinda problem lately as well. On my P bass the A string sounds wimpy with a pick vs a huge E. Sounds almost tinny to me.

4. AzzaKnoldy

AzzaKnoldy

May 29, 2011
    I'm using fingers, on a Ibanez GSR-180. It has J pickups.

5. I use a compressor for live gigs to help even out stuff like this.

6. AzzaKnoldy

AzzaKnoldy

May 29, 2011
    Thanks, the compressor helped alot :) How high should I put it to retain sound quality though?